[SOLVED] Who control the fans? BIOS or iCUE Software?

mac187

Commendable
Nov 4, 2020
Hi!

I have Corsair iCue H115i RGB XT PRO cooler. I have followed the instructions and connected the wire from the cooler to CPU_FAN header on MoBo.
I have B550-e gaming mobo and I went into BIOS under Qfan Control tab and see that it has an CPU_FAN Curve in there.
I have also installed iCue Software to control the cooler fans.
My question is.. which overrides which? Will iCue disable fan control from BIOS or will the BIOS disable the iCue fan control?

Solution
Ok, so if the BIOS show the CPU_FAN it does not mean BIOS is controlling the fans? So it actually iCUE Software which is controlling the fans by the curve i set?
iCue software uses mainboard to control CPU fan. When it is active your fans are controlled by iCUE software, when you close it , or if it disabled the control BIOS controls it.

mac187

Commendable
Nov 4, 2020
The wire from the cooler is just a monitoring tach cable and keeps the motherboard from thinking there is no fan on the cpu. It does not control anything. The fans and pump speed are controllable through the Icue software.

Ok, so if the BIOS show the CPU_FAN it does not mean BIOS is controlling the fans? So it actually iCUE Software which is controlling the fans by the curve i set?

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
iCue software uses mainboard to control CPU fan. When it is active your fans are controlled by iCUE software, when you close it , or if it disabled the control BIOS controls it.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, iCUE is doing all the monitoring and control of your Corsair cooler system. That wire from the pump to the CPU_FAN header just carries to that header the speed signal of the PUMP - not a fan. But the BIOS does not know that, so it will still label that as the speed of the CPU FAN! iCUE will pick that info up and other info also, and tell you the truth about those things.