Question Who do I call

May 23, 2019
I give up. My first build stopped after 5 months fans run seems like its running just black screen
Ryzen 5 2600X
Asrock B450M-HDV
MSI GeForce GTX 1050 2gb
G. Skill 16GB 2x8 ddr4 3200
corsair psu

I have swapped psu moved the Ram around in the two slots hooked up different hard drive
it has a m.2 ssd I have removed it and same thing
I dont have the stuff to swap parts around. Who do I go to or who can I send it to.
I am going to bench test but im sure something faild as it was running for months.
Thanks

gahelm1

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
If you are not seeing any POST messages or BIOS messages when you initially turn on the power then I would start by connecting my monitor to another source to insure it is working. Next I would observe the HDD/SSD access light to see if the system is accessing the main drive after turning on the power. (System must access this drive for boot) The outcome of those two steps will determine your next steps.

One last thing I almost forgot to say. Make sure you have put all components that you have moved around back in their original position. This means reinstalling the original PSU, and returning all ram modules to their original slots.

You could always take it to your local PC retailer Bestbuy, Mom & Pop shop , etc.. These places will make you pay heavily for their service but if you are out of your depth then you may not have any choice. Try what I said above and get back to us.

Reactions: davew1860
May 23, 2019
All that has been done. Monitor worked hooked up to lap top and I did rest bios.
I shut it down one night windows stated it was updating next day black screen

Last edited by a moderator:

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well it could've fried something, the cx series if they're the green ones they are crap.
And you shouldn't have used it with your new gaming rig if you ask me, it already killed a GPU for me.

4745454b

Titan
We need to know model numbers or at least wattage info. If you are using adapters for the card, or using a lower end 380/430W unit that could be the issue.

Edit: This is how you add more info by the way if no one has replied. Just edit the previous post. I know the 1050 doesn't need any adapters normally. So I'm inclined to think it's not the PSU. But you are very vague about what PSU you are using.

I would set up a test bench with a good motherboard that takes DDR4 RAM and test all the components one by one. I had a client that thought it would be okay to plug a copier into the same extension cord they used for their computer and when they used it their computer went dead. When I tested all the components it turned out the VGA card had been fried.

g-unit1111

Titan
There was a windows update a while back that cratered a lot of systems. Might be that your system had update indigestion....have you tried a clean reinstall of windows?

Possible. If it's a Windows update that didn't go through, it's either a bad install job, or it is possible that it could be hard drive failure. I've seen this happen before and my money usually is on the possibility that it could be HD failure.

4745454b

Titan
If it never shows the bios it's not a windows update issue. I don't see where he said CX corsair. The OP just says corsair PSU. There is a newer grey label which is better than the old green label unit. Even the green label one isn't garbage. I'll run those over any "Xtreme" or "tech" PSU any day. As long as you keep it cool and don't overload it you should be fine.

But I'm guessing either power or board issue.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
It is garbage i will have to disagree with you on that, if i didn't already have problems with two of them even though the temp of the power supply never reached 25, yet one of them killed a GPU and thankfully the otherone i removed it before burning another thing.
He said it is old, so basically it will be the green one.
You are welcome.

4745454b

Titan
I saw that. It's after you asked about the CX PSU. You asked in post #6, he replied in post #8. Good guess for you. They aren't great PSUs. But they aren't total junk either. They can output their rating unlike the fire starter PSUs most think of when the term junk PSU is used.

None of this helps him. So lets move on and figure out what's wrong. I'd like to know what CX PSU he has, and what the other PSU he tried is. Knowing what PSU he is trying to use on that system is helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 23, 2019
I have started pulling it apart to bench test. The motherboard has no visual signs of issues. I have found a ryzen 3 desk top I can test the ram and gpu in so I'm making progress.