Who has the BEST VIEWING angle display?

Whose displays have the best viewing angle? Out of Apple, Dell, HP, Toshiba,
anyone...

What is your experience?

TIA

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Define "best". Are you looking for the widest viewing angle so you can show
stuff to bystanders or do you deal with confidential information and want
the narrowest viewing angle so as not to disclose info to others?

"Frank A" <frank@anon.org> wrote in message

> Whose displays have the best viewing angle? Out of Apple, Dell, HP,
> Toshiba,
> anyone...
>
> What is your experience?
>
> TIA

I'm not aware of an objective measurement of viewing angle or even a
generally accepted standard.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Frank A" <frank@anon.org> wrote in message

> Whose displays have the best viewing angle? Out of Apple, Dell, HP,
Toshiba,
> anyone...
>
> What is your experience?
>
> TIA

"Frank A" <frank@anon.org> wrote in message

> Whose displays have the best viewing angle? Out of Apple, Dell, HP,
> Toshiba,
> anyone...
>
> What is your experience?
>
> TIA

On my HP4325 laptop the viewing angle is 0. Well, maybe 2 or 3 degrees, but
it was very inexpensive and that was 2 years ago. On my daughters new Dell
700M laptop the viewing angle approaches 180. Simply amazing compared to
the HP.

alien

alien at nofenders@mtco.com wrote on 8/11/05 2:07 PM:

> "Frank A" <frank@anon.org> wrote in message
>>
>> Whose displays have the best viewing angle? Out of Apple, Dell, HP,
>> Toshiba,
>> anyone...
>>
>> What is your experience?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> On my HP4325 laptop the viewing angle is 0. Well, maybe 2 or 3 degrees, but
> it was very inexpensive and that was 2 years ago. On my daughters new Dell
> 700M laptop the viewing angle approaches 180. Simply amazing compared to
> the HP.

Thanks Alien. I'm surprised there isn't more talk about this. In discussions
of "desktop replacement" laptops, no one ever mentions that desktop displays
have a MUCH wider viewing angle. The laptops I've looked at so far would
never replace my desktop.

That's why I asked, because as soon as someone makes a laptop display with
the quality of today's best desktop displays (like Apple's Cinema displays),
I will happily replace my desktop.

> alien at nofenders@mtco.com wrote on 8/11/05 2:07 PM:
>
>> "Frank A" <frank@anon.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Whose displays have the best viewing angle? Out of Apple, Dell, HP,
>>> Toshiba,
>>> anyone...
>>>
>>> What is your experience?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> On my HP4325 laptop the viewing angle is 0. Well, maybe 2 or 3 degrees,
>> but
>> it was very inexpensive and that was 2 years ago. On my daughters new
>> Dell
>> 700M laptop the viewing angle approaches 180. Simply amazing compared to
>> the HP.
>
> Thanks Alien. I'm surprised there isn't more talk about this. In
> discussions
> of "desktop replacement" laptops, no one ever mentions that desktop
> displays
> have a MUCH wider viewing angle. The laptops I've looked at so far would
> never replace my desktop.
>
> That's why I asked, because as soon as someone makes a laptop display with
> the quality of today's best desktop displays (like Apple's Cinema
> displays),
> I will happily replace my desktop.

Although the 700M has a great viewing angle and a sharp, bright look, it is
a rather small screen (12" I think). I don't think it would do as a desktop
replacement for some people.

alien

"Frank A" <frank@anon.org> wrote in message
> alien at nofenders@mtco.com wrote on 8/11/05 2:07 PM:
>
>> "Frank A" <frank@anon.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Whose displays have the best viewing angle? Out of Apple, Dell, HP,
>>> Toshiba,
>>> anyone...
>>>
>>> What is your experience?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> On my HP4325 laptop the viewing angle is 0. Well, maybe 2 or 3 degrees,
>> but
>> it was very inexpensive and that was 2 years ago. On my daughters new
>> Dell
>> 700M laptop the viewing angle approaches 180. Simply amazing compared to
>> the HP.
>
> Thanks Alien. I'm surprised there isn't more talk about this. In
> discussions
> of "desktop replacement" laptops, no one ever mentions that desktop
> displays
> have a MUCH wider viewing angle. The laptops I've looked at so far would
> never replace my desktop.
>
> That's why I asked, because as soon as someone makes a laptop display with
> the quality of today's best desktop displays (like Apple's Cinema
> displays),
> I will happily replace my desktop.

Just curious. Do you think there is some magic "desktop only" LCD plant
manufacturing superior displays that only go in desktops? You haven't seen
a good laptop. For example, from what I understand, the Inspiron 9300 uses
the same display as the Apple Cinema.

Tom

> Just curious. Do you think there is some magic "desktop only" LCD plant
> manufacturing superior displays that only go in desktops? You haven't seen
> a good laptop. For example, from what I understand, the Inspiron 9300 uses
> the same display as the Apple Cinema.

Hmm, it seems that Apple doesn't sell a 17" Cinema Display. So, this cannot
be true.

>> Just curious. Do you think there is some magic "desktop only" LCD plant
>> manufacturing superior displays that only go in desktops? You haven't
>> seen
>> a good laptop. For example, from what I understand, the Inspiron 9300
>> uses
>> the same display as the Apple Cinema.
>

> Hmm, it seems that Apple doesn't sell a 17" Cinema Display. So, this
> cannot
> be true.

Yes, we must have crossed posts. I was thinking of something else.

Tom