Who Is DDoS Attacking MMORPGs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Sounds like the federal agencies need to take a break from gathering snapchat photos from schoolkids and shut down a few overseas botnets.

Karpet360

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014
I wonder if this happened a few days ago to me on eve, had a whole fleet lose connection and the server was offline for a few min.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
It's not just big companies, a lot of smaller ones are getting hit right now too. I've had at least 2 or 3 of my most frequently visited sites be DDoS'd in the past few weeks, one of them repeatedly. One was even a forum provider of all things! It just seems like the DDoS-ers are out in full force right now.

Vaesmannaeyjar

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
People having an interest in MMO servers not working are the pirated servers operated by companies other than the one owning the game. In the case of WoW, a new Xpack is the time when subscribers come back to experience new content...and stop frequenting P2W pirated servers for a time. A phenomenon the owners of said servers do not like at all.

Vaesmannaeyjar

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
People having an interest in MMO servers not working are the pirated servers operated by companies other than the one owning the game. In the case of WoW, a new Xpack is the time when subscribers come back to experience new content...and stop frequenting P2W pirated servers for a time. A phenomenon the owners of said servers do not like at all.

f-14

Distinguished
this is nothing new...all MMORPGS seems to be getting hit consistently for the last 2 years until the operators find a way to block the problem. and it's been getting worse and expanding to alot of others. LOL seems to have dealt with it the fastest, but there's alot of major lag going on regardless on every single MMORPG of the 12 i have tried.
as far as i am concerned it has ruined online gaming as nothing but rubbish and unplayable for me at almost everything but card games. short of breaking into the operators servers and tracing the issues and then writing code that auto breaks the bots via CPU indentifiers i am unsure of a simple way to auto stump the idiots performing these operations, i'm not being paid for that either so IDGAD, online gaming is just ...garbage...IMO and i prefer LAN hands down any day every second.

ntrceptr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Just had to say in response to Vaesmannaeyjar, Who plays on a pirate/private server that is setup as P2W (pay to win) isnt the whole point of these servers is to not pay. Personally i would avoid these like the plague.

On another note is, seems all MMO's that are recycling the same old crap and calling it an expansion or migrating towards pay to win are the ones getting DDoS attacks. Maybe not, but thats what I'm seeing.

mockingbeard

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Is it not obvious why? People are the worst thing that has ever happened to this earth. What these companies are not telling you is that they were probably held to random with the threat of DDoS attacks and they refused to pay - because to reveal that information would discourage people from playing and decrease their revenue streams. Least this way they can hope that people enjoy the game enough to persevere through their appologies until the DDoS attacks stop.

Mark Blair

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
This was the group claiming responsibility for a bunch of DDoS attacks a few months ago. Someone going by the handle Agent13 (claiming to be part of Anonymous) was actively shutting down their (LizardSquad) bot nets. It was quite interesting to watch the twitter feeds. Sadly, Agent13 only puts his Twitter acct up from time to time...

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Where are all the folks calling Blizzard liars like they did when Trion was getting DDOS'd for AA launch?
Happens with every launch - Wildstar got DDOSd, ArcheAge, now WoW.
It's hardly a surprise anymore - expect every major launch to be accompanied by DDOS

Yes guys, i was whining and yelling kinda saying that there was no DDOS attacks. Let me rephrase it, if there was a DDOS attack at the launch of Warlords of Draenor, it was minimally affecting ALL servers considering that many many servers were crashing because Blizzard made it so that every damn player had to stand in 1 place on their server.

DDOS attacks as you see them from ingame or while trying login are pretty and obviously different compared to just 10million people, or say 30.000 active players trying to enter 1! server at the same time.

You will see in other news that subscribers in wow raised from 7million to 10million.
I dont believe that blizzard excected a 40% increase of population in just 4 days. Sure DDOS might have happened but not on all servers and not for long.

Plus consider that the 5 days free of game were not for a DDOS attack problems but for stability and unexpected stuff.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15269759060
please read it and stop saying blizzard servers were DDOS all the time.

Plus, most of the downtime on the heavily populated server i play was for server hardware upgrade ...

Vaesmannaeyjar

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
"Who plays on a pirate/private server that is setup as P2W (pay to win) isnt the whole point of these servers is to not pay. Personally i would avoid these like the plague. "

The point for some people is to play fo free, the point for a lot of others is to buy the items they are too bad to get on the real servers. Those pirate servers have an array of paid services, they are there to make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.