Who makes dell\'s power supplies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
You are correct!

And the variation that you are seeing is because of the multiple sourcing of components. Different PSU companies may be using internal components of varying degrees of quality which will be reflected in the finished products.

Even from the same factory, there will be differences in quality levels depending on their components sourcing, process variations, and production assembly lines.

candreae

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Indeed, there are only a handful of true PSU companies out there that own their own manufacturing facilities. I was just curious due to the large variation in quality from model to model that I have seen over the years. Additionally it seems the power supplies are underpowered for the componentry, or at least barely passing. If the supplies are being made by some of the less reputable factories, the wattage won't even (in actuality) be as advertised.

You are correct!

And the variation that you are seeing is because of the multiple sourcing of components. Different PSU companies may be using internal components of varying degrees of quality which will be reflected in the finished products.

Even from the same factory, there will be differences in quality levels depending on their components sourcing, process variations, and production assembly lines.

Solution
generally in my many years of owning and repairing Dells
most PSUs are made by Fortron or HiPro
both are reputable PSU makers
Dell PSUs are usually pretty decent quality
and usually are rated at CONTINOUS max wattage
not PEAK max wattage like many aftermarket PSUs

Status
Not open for further replies.