[SOLVED] Who makes high quality DVI cables ?

jbclem

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
After years of VGA cables, I finally started using DVI cables to match my graphics card(s) and monitors. But my first purchases were DVI-I cables by Amazon Essentials. Two of three were defective and wouldn't work. And it's hard to believe the Amazon reviews any more, especially since the brands available are unfamiliar. So I'd like to know what the quality and time tested cable brands are so I can chose something reliable and functional.

Any suggestions will be relished...

Solution
unless you are using a VGA adapter to a very old display you wouldn't need the analog signal provided by DVI-I.
DVI-D provides a digital signal for more modern displays.
cables by Amazon Essentials. Two of three were defective
have you gotten any reimbursement for them?
Amazon is great about refunds/returns, especially for their own sponsored products.
it's hard to believe the Amazon reviews
the majority of users for these types of low-end products aren't going to be the type to stress them or probably even use them much.
and probably don't bother to even write reviews.

just read the negative remarks and you should always get a decent perspective on the quality of their products.
if more than one mentions a similar...
unless you are using a VGA adapter to a very old display you wouldn't need the analog signal provided by DVI-I.
DVI-D provides a digital signal for more modern displays.
cables by Amazon Essentials. Two of three were defective
have you gotten any reimbursement for them?
Amazon is great about refunds/returns, especially for their own sponsored products.
it's hard to believe the Amazon reviews
the majority of users for these types of low-end products aren't going to be the type to stress them or probably even use them much.
and probably don't bother to even write reviews.

just read the negative remarks and you should always get a decent perspective on the quality of their products.
if more than one mentions a similar problem just expect it to also affect you over time.
I'd like to know what the quality and time tested cable brands are so I can chose something reliable and functional.
maybe look for those provided by display manufacturers.

over the 10 years or so of using DVI cables i never had any issue with those provided with monitors.
i've still got some that are 15+ years old that still work fine when i need them on any archaic system i may be working on.

Solution

jbclem

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I misspoke, the cables I bought were DVI-D, not DVI-I. Is there a way to edit my first comment?

Amazon replaced my first defective cable, so later I bought a second identical one. But it was completely dead (the first one was intermittent). I'm getting a refund on that one. About Amazon reviews, I always read the negative ones first, and check the % of negative reviews. That's why I came here to ask the question, all I could see on Amazon were no-name brands.

My monitors are Samsung, bought used to they didn't come with cables. But thanks for that idea, it's a good starting point. I searched through Google and it brought up a Samsung cable selling on Amazon. I went to Amazon and tried searching for Samsung DVI to DVI cable, and the first DVI to DVI cable was 19 entries down. That's how screwed up (and manipulative) the Amazon search function it. I gave up after 57 entries, 3 DVI to DVI cables, and no Samsung.

I just found a bunch of Samsung DVI cables on eBay, longer cheaper than the Amazon one and with free shipping. Warranty probably won't be as good as Amazon, but for $7 it's worth the risk.