• *I* ahem, only use nVidia products

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • *I* ahem, only use Intel HD 3000 graphics

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Ill Pass On Radeon Until They Get Wide-Spread GPU Computing And PhyX Support Not That They Are Bad Cards Or Anything, I Like My Highly Overclocked GTX460SE Just Fine. However I Am Getting Myself A 24" DELL S-IPS Display.

You will never see PhysX on ATI cards since its owned by Nvidia(Who bought out the creators of PhysX.).
AMD does have Direct Compute and other GPU computation options(OpenCL)

In fact they had some before Nvidia did(could use folding@home on ATI long before).

dontcrosthestreams

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
they need to update current games and make games in the next year that can utilize all of my 6950 2gb and use a 4 core to its max. every game out right now is a console port that can look its best with a 5770

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Well, not with a 5770, but point taken. Not just 4 cores, but also make use of 8 cores and HT.

G

My Sapphire 5850 still do very good on my resolution 1280x1024. I'm not a serious gamer but always like to be upgraded. I very like ATi products but seriously till their "Gaming Evolved" sponsorship getting as mature as TWIMTBP, and also GCN Architecture as well in front of CUDA, And Many more things in case of softwares using them, Partners with major Software Developers like Autodesk and Adobe, Yes something replacing Agia Physics for game developers ......... :)
Maybe have to wait 6 months and saving money and keep an eye on NVIDIA's as well and also NON-Reference PCBs from the two of them. Then I first choose my next MONITOR and renew my whole PC parts that I have had it for 2 years.... if that worth it.
Anyway this poll must had some other choices but I chose 3rd one ;)

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006

You're in luck. The new architecture and GCN just put AMD on par with Fermi for GPU computing. For Physx though you won't see AMD licencing it because Physx isn't needed for physics. There are some Physx branded effects in games like UT3 where you can break apart barriers with smoke and blow up signs but they're Phsyx only because of business and not technological limitations. Nvidia is guilty for that. Physx had a bright future when they got it and they used it as a weapon and now it's irrelevant and may go the way of the dodo bird. If you disagree then then I agree you disagree and I recommend googling physx supported games.

G

Yes its a business move, but its a move & AMD have to move on faster.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Hey is it legal to take your own topic off topic? Anyhow, I don't think AMD should get in to physics. I think current game developers are doing well enough.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

What do you mean, "game developers"?

I wouldn't pay extra for PhysX, but it's nice to have... Take Mirror's Edge w/ PhysX vs. w/o: with PhysX, everything is just so damn entertaining - showers of glass flying around, etc. It's a business move, of course, there're physics engines like Havok which work just as good (Just Cause 2, for example), but it's not like buying AMD cards will stop nVidia from pushing PhysX - might as well have it :)

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Is there really a point? Game developers will STILL cater to consoles, anyway. I'll stick with my newer GTX 460 SE for a while. It plays Crysis, I'm good. My CPU, on the other hand, is probably my system's bottleneck for gaming, an E6750. Unfortunately nowadays, a CPU upgrade is a major deal. New Mobo, new memory, then new CPU, not that I wouldn't mind a new mobo, because I know at least one of the DIMM slots are dead, anyway. I'll invest when Windows 8 comes out.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
my processor is my bottleneck, been with this build for a few years, AMD X2 5000+ Nvidia 9600gt. that 2.6ghz processor is keeping me back in skyrim, and UT3.

so now, im saving up for a new processor, Motherboard, and Ram.
Than once thats said and done, il be keeping a eye on graphics cards..
as of now though, my focus is on processors.
Im looking for a good motherboard to work for me into the next few years..
Trying to avoid pci slots, and only having 7x pci express, not wanting to spend $300 on a board though.

TheQuestian

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, it depends on who you are, I think. While it's true that many games are trending away from full-blown graphical extravagance, I have been asked to build four gaming PC's in the past month, "for Battlefield 3," and, "to play Skyrim." I don't think these cards are for the type of person who says, "It plays XYZ, so I'm good." I think they are for those people who ask how smooth and solid the frame rates are, and whether the image quality settings are maxed, and whether or not we could push for a higher resolution. These are still top considerations for some poor souls like myself, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Since I get the occasional hiccup playing BF3 or Skyrim on a GTX 570 at 1920x1200 with settings to my liking, a 7970 or SLI 570's is still not an exercise in futility for me. Your point is well taken regarding the CPU, tho. I am running a Core i5-750, and I would probably build a new system rather than upgrade graphics alone on my current system.

djscomputerservice

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
OK ok ok...Jeez...So back to the Question?

Where Can I Find or get a 7970 Ordered? Not the Reviews which i have memorized!. But One to Get a price, specs and order. Thanks.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
lol my current pc is using a 256mb nvidea geoforce 6150 se intergrated card its terrible acer made a quadcore with 4 gigs of dual channel ram and up with the vid card massivly lol minecraft minimum settings minimized at low render distance rarley goes over 35 fps