Who owns what?

Paranoid Gamer

Reputable
Jan 11, 2015
If PlayStation have Sony, and Xbox have Microsoft, then what does PC have?

>Windows is for PC, but Microsoft already have Xbox
>Apple is not PC, Apple is for Mac
>Steam is by Valve, and it doesn't necessarily own PC, it just provides a cloud-gaming/streaming software for games.
>Others are just game producers/developers/publishers which also does not own PC
>As far as I know, Nvidia and Intel are just hardware producers for PC
>Other known companies are also just hardware producers, if not, laptop and computing manufacturers for their own company.

So, basically, who owns PC?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
PC is simply a generic term meaning "Personal Computer". It is a throwback to the days of the first IBM Personal Computer. The name just stuck for all Intel-based x86 computers. In fact, a Mac could even be a PC (personal computer). But most folks use the term to reference x86 computers.

Paranoid Gamer

Reputable
Jan 11, 2015

I knew someone would reply like this eventually. Yes, I know PC's are just abbreviations of "personal computers", but I used the term differently mainly to distinguish it from Mac. And if no one "generally" owns the lineage of PC's, then are PC's just basically a case filled with hardwares from different companies that works together as a whole -- as a PC?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Basically, yes. PC is not a brand name. It is a descriptive term. It is hard to assign ownership to a generic concept. It's like asking 'who owns the smartphone'?

Paranoid Gamer

Reputable
Jan 11, 2015

I have a dream where one day, all hardware manufacturers would merge into one company, and develop the PC to be the ultimate technology of general-purpose machines. Also, develop better hardwares together rather than competing with each other.

Competing with each other is what makes them develop better hardware. That is why there are laws about monopolies that take over a segment, to prevent unfair prices and shoving bad products at consumers.

I suggest you take a business class, you also should learn about computers and computer history.

PlayStation, Sony, Xbox, Microsoft are all brand and company names. To compare them to PC you need to call things "consoles" and "tech companies" vs "PCs". When people talke about PCs they are generally talking about systems running Microsoft Windows with different hardware built on standards.

Apple Mac computers are also PCs, in that they are personal computers vs the large server and mainframe systems that were around before the PC was made, just with different hardware and software.

It's like asking "who owns CAR".

Besides, computers already ARE general purpose machines that is what made them so popular.

Paranoid Gamer

Reputable
Jan 11, 2015

Yonose

Distinguished
Simple, no one own the PC except you. :p

PC is just a build, its a structur.. thats it ;)

Just because it run Windows, iOS or Linux, wont mean that they own PC.