Who Wants to Buy AMD? - TGDaily Discussion

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Here's the article from TGDaily...

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/35289/118/

I personally think the Samsung acquisition would be VERY interesting. That would certainly heat up the x86 market by ten-fold. The article pretty much covers most cases, so I'll simply create the thread than reply once other responses have been posted.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
I hope Nvidia doesn't buy them, it'll kill off ATI...and then monopoly.

If google buys them, the ever popular name will become even more popular and nearly everybody will know them and buy them. The average Joe will most likely buy a Google pc compared to Intel. I mean even my friends don't know what Intel is :p

Personally I think Google should buy General Motors too. Rename it and call it Google Motors. Everyone will recognize them :)

So true in a way.....

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Google would have no business purchasing AMD. It would be Sony buying Gatorade or something. It's two very different markets. Google has relatively no experience in producing CPUs, let alone GPUs. It would be tackling way to many things at once. That's just my two cents though.

I would really like to see either IBM or Samsung purchase AMD. That would be very interesting. Preferably Samsung, because they are Intel's #2 competitor, and could help AMD in the Research and Development areas substantially. Although I dislike the fact of AMD being boughten out, it comes to me as no surprise to hear this suggestion. The company is performing very poorly at the moment on the CPU segment and the GPU segment, well after a year, is finally starting to do some good now.

What I find the most baffling out of all of this, is that AMD can be bought (including ATI and its division) for less than what it paid for for ATI and its acquisition. That really concerns me a lot. AMD bought ATI for $5 billion and now it can be had for less than $4.8 billion. This goes to show that AMD is REALLY hurting. And what makes me just go into absolute shock is how they just gave Hector Ruiz a raise!

I think a purchase of AMD for Samsung would be downright the best thing the x86 market has or will ever see. Competition will be fierce, it will allow Samsung to increase in profits, which in turn will drive more products, not only this, but it would allow for better competition in the GPU industry as well. Driving performance even higher due to Samsung being a very large corporation, they can R&D more, and they can produce more and more at a time.

I feel that if Samsung purchases AMD, things will be much brighter in the x86 market and in the GPU market as well. Samsung could really expand on where ATI and AMD are planning to go. For example, ATI uses display chips in TVs and HDTVs, Samsung is a leader in producing TV and HDTVs, couple ATI in there with it's own products and BAM! You've got much better performance right from the get go. No longer would Samsung have to spend more to get an ATI display chip in its TVs, it could do it for cheaper, which would lower cost just on that front alone.

Samsung produces memory, AMD uses an IMC. Imagine the possibilities on that one for a moment.

Samsung also makes hard drives, not many, but they do make them. If you can discover ways to increase performance between the HDD, CPU, and GPU, as well as Memory, you'll get much better performance.

Samsung also does telecommunications, an acquisition of ATI would allow display chips in cell phones that are better and cheaper, couple that with an AMD chip and you got one good product.

Just looking at possibilities of what Samsung could potentially do to AMD and ATI is really interesting. If anything I think it would make the x86 market really heat up, and I think it would make memory heat up the most. Granted Samsung could produce it's own motherboards, CPUs, and GPUs, along with it's own memory. That in itself is a great platform in the making.

Just think about it...

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Unless Larrabee does well in Q4 08.

Then it would be nVidia vs Intel on everything.

The bit about selling off ATi wouldn't be a horrible idea either.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Damn Baron, I'm trying to restrain myself from getting into a flame war with you in each thread I go to, But how can you say that amd's stock troubles are based on people over-exaggerating AMD's situation. They ARE in trouble...In big trouble..

I'm just gonna leave it at that...Since you literally do not want to accept or listen to anyone else. You just live in your fantasy world.

Back on subject though, It would be a bad move for AMD to sell ATI. AMD won't really go under, and the acquirement of ATI was a good solution for the companies business plan. They are branching out to many different product segments...Unluckily, they just bought ATI and the worst possible time.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Well the purchase was bad timing because they were in transition to a new socket, i see that being bad because there were stilla lot of fresh Socket 939 owners and DDR2 wasn't that cheap as it is today, which means more people won't move over to Socket AM2 and DDR2. Second, Intel released the Core 2 Duo series at almost the same time. Third, instead of having money to help transition them through the phase of Socket 939 and Socket AM2, along with new products, they than decide to purchase ATI and take a $5 billion hit. Not only this, but ATI did not release a new product for quite some time. In the end it really shows that it's taking a toll on the company, especially if sites are saying that you could get bought out. Imagine what other companies would do if they heard this sore of thing...

azfj60

Distinguished
May 3, 2007

Well, there wouldn't be much of a story then, would there? I've mentioned it many times on here. I'd be interested to know what people smarter than me about such things think. It'd sure be interesting to know the details of existing deals between IBM, Samsung and Intel. It seems that it might be a stumbling block, but there might be deals already in place between Intel and others that might "grease the skids". I've always been of the opinion that it'd be a deal killer, in that Intel could drag it's feet on negotiating long enough to put a potential buyer another generation behind, and put a(nother) crimp in the AMD cash-flow crunch. Court hold-ups work both ways.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
The Chinese government should buy them; they have trillions of dollars sitting around doing nothing, and that would give them a high-end CPU manufacturer and high-end GPU manufacturer which would help them break their reliance on American chips. OK, turning AMD into a Chinese company would take years, but they do tend to think long-term.

stevenpchurch

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Hi - AMD's current debt is $5.3 billion so the true acquisition price wouldn't be $4.8 billion, it would be $10.1 once the new buyer assumes AMD's debt. Its' return on assets is -6.76% and its' return on equity is -47.78%. These are all horrible numbers! I'll bet that there will be no offers for AMD until their stock is around $3-4 per share (perhaps sometime in the 2nd quarter of '08)...stevenpchurch

I think you'd have to be rather dillusional to think that. I called AMD @ 8.50 by the end of the week and it happened. I also predicted AMD in the $7 range by the end of this month; we'll have to wait and see, but I feel it will close at last once or twice below $8 dollars.

AMD is in HUGE financial trouble, especially in light of what other's have posted. Although AMD's debt exceeds its market capital, you have to keep in mind AMD's assests. They might not have tons of fabs like Intel, but they do have some, as well as intellectual property and other stuff as well that common folk aren't aware of.

I don't foresee a buyout of AMD, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is a discussion in some boardrooms.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Ahh if this was the 80's some company would come in and buy up AMD just to part them out and make billions.... Thats what they should be worried about at that price, I think the FTC might step in but then again, they might not. ATI would be worth the cost of buying AMD alone and then you would have all those juicy fabs to sell. Of course im pretty sure AMD has enough debt to make something like this harder then it sounds.

continuation

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I don't think anyone will buy AMD. The x86 licensing agreement with Intel has a clause that voids the license in the event of a change of AMD ownership. So whoever buys AMD would end up not being able to sell x86 chips. Who'd do that?

laitainion

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006

In the UK we had a similar problem when NTL wanted to buy Telewest, as I recall what happened was that Telewest 'bought' NTL and then they renamed the new company NTL, with the old NTL boss at the top. I don't know the exact mechanics of it, so it might not be possible between AMD and Samsung, or whoever, but it would be amusing. :D

I'd expect the the x86 licence would be a non-negotiable part of any potential buyout. The buyer would simply end up paying Intel's fees for continuation of the x86 licence as part of the deal. Given that x86 is a couple decades old, I sincerely doubt this would even remotely become a sticking point.

Regarding the United States FTC (Federal Trade Comission): AMD is a Canadian company, no??? ;) The FTC could certainly offer up it's opinions, but at the end of the day I'm pretty sure the reply would be something along the lines of "Take a Flying F*** at a Rolling Donut, Ehh? The only 'ooot' here is going to be on the end of the Booot which is rapidly approaching your collective backsides!! Buncha Hosers" :lol:

sailer

Splendid

I don't see anything on the Delaware connection. But the headquarters is in Sunnyvale, CA. So the FTC and a whole bunch of other federal offices would get involved with any proposal of sale to an outside of country company. Due to some of the restrictions against computer knowledge going outside the country, a sale to Samsung might be prohibited.

One point that the author of Tom's didn't explore is that AMD would not necessarily have to be bought out for the $4.8 billion, or $10+ billion including debt. All that would be necessary is to buy 51% of the stock to gain control of the company, about $2.4+ billion. Then the controlling owner could fire Ruiz, the board, and do most anything else he wanted. If the new controlling owner had the money in hand, he could also pay off the debt so as to have the company free and clear of outside influence.