Who will solve cancer riddle AMD or Itel?

G

Now that I made you look...
I just saw this and thought some of you might contribute those waisted cpu cycles.
www.intel.com/cure
Seti like program working on cancer research. I wonder who will process more packets??? Any way everyone wins.
Anim88tor

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
.............................. cool
you probably have to have an intel processor

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

G

Actualy I first saw it on AMD zone and he has a group of AMD users doing it.
http://www.AMDZone.com

I heard of one for genomics at MIT, Berkley or some other major American university but could not find the info on it.
I was disapointed not to be able to find it because the University involvment eliminated the for profit aspect.
Anim88tor

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
oh well, i am running SETI@home so i don't want to do SETI@home and this too.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Finally a USEFUL scientific search project for our PC's!

<i><font color=purple>Running within specs is the key to a stable computer!</font color=purple></i>
<font color=red>LRMV</font color=red>

G

I chose this over SETI@home because I figure we'll see a cure for cancer way before we run into any intelligent life outside our solar system.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
There's some other program that folds proteins too. I looked into the information about it, and the company is 'for-profit'. They will send you packets to compute, and turn right around to sell them to their customers. It might not be so bad if you could deduct the computer from your taxes.....

G

I was just reading about that one... They specifically state, and I quote, "Unlike other distributed computing projects, Folding@home is run by an academic institution (specifically the Pande Group, at Stanford University's Chemistry Department), which is a non-profit institution dedicated to science research and education."

I was curious about it too... Did I miss something? I'll be damned before I let someone use my cpu for profit... Might as well join Juno then, free isp but forced to let them use your pc at all times.

"I've been called worse by better people. You can do better..."

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Must not be the same one. I saw it on some newsgroup, and checked the web site. It basically said if the company doesn't have anything for you to process, then they divert some research packets to you to process. But it specifically said 'for-profit' and 'proccess packets for our customers'. At that point, I closed the page =)

Just something to bear in mind when you're trying new screensavers. As long as it's university research/non-profit, no one is directly making cash off you. The university might be, through grants, but it's not quite the same as handing a couple million extra to msft/ntel/nokia.....

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
According to this United Devices program, my old K6-3 450MHz PC has an overall performance rating of 127 compared to 100 for the high end desktop system! And my Athlon Thunderbird 1200MHz has an overall rating of 54!!!

I think I'm going to throw out the Athlon and start using my old PC again!
8->

<i><font color=purple>Running within specs is the key to a stable computer!</font color=purple></i>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
It Identifies my Athlon (A) Slot 1 650MHz as a K7-2.

Anybody know what the number 2 in the K7-2 is for?

<i><b><font color=red>"How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?"</font color=red></b></i>

G

Ha! I just looked at this one over at intel, they list the system requirements as follows:

System Requirements:

Intel® Pentium® processor or equivalent
At least 48 MB RAM
500 MB hard disk drive with at least 20 MB available for use
256 color monitor with at least 800x600 resolution
An internet connection
Operating system: Windows 95*, Windows 98*, Windows ME*, Windows 2000 Professional*, or Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 6a*
Windows 95* requires Winsock 2.0*, available at www.microsoft.com

Heh, "Intel pentium or equiv"? Man, I bet the Tbirds out there smoke the intels at this too. I just found it humorous that they worded it like that. I think I'm going to check out the one here: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/Cosm/ . It looks a little better and I just have this feeling that Intel will get greedy with the mass computing power they will get for free and find a way to make some cash from it.

I also agree seti is dead now... Why not do one that will actually do some good?

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't know what it means but mine is identified as K7-4.

And the CPU performance comparison is apparently only based on the CPU clock frequency. My Athlon 1200 gives an index of 81 while my K6-3 450 gives 30. That's good for Intel, this way they always have the fastest CPU!

DarkPhire

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2001
Well, I was running United Devices till i read this forum, I agree that is stupid that My cpu is rated like "54" (t-bird 750 oc'd to 800) while a slower intel CPU is rated higher... whatsup with that... im off to find a new distributed computing...

Mines also k7-4, what the hell is a k7-4.. last i checked it was a T-bird.

G

I'm thinking it goes like this...

Slota = k7-2
Duron = k7-3
Tbird = k7-4

Maybe? Just a guess...

TRENDING THREADS