Who would buy the new duron?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
On pricewatch the 1.2ghz tbird is 2 bucks cheaper.....with amd turning the markets prices inside out, where does the value segment belong? Tbirds are cheaper than durons, cellys, everything, why even HAVE a value segment?

Who would buy a 1ghz duron instead of a 1.2 tbird?

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

FatBurger

Illustrious
Remember that reported prices are usually wrong. For what you're saying, nobody will buy a Morgan.

Tom also lists a 1.2/266 for $199. I paid $130 for mine about 3 months ago. Don't trust the Morgan price.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
pricewatch lists the morgan as 93 (1ghz)
and the 1.2 as 91

I have never met a bad pricewatch price, it is my most trusted computer part sourse.....I noticied this a few days ago, the new tbird drops put them BELOW equalvalent duron pricing, it does NOT make sense, its TRUE, why would you buy a morgan when you can have a 1.2ghz for the same price, and the 1ghz tbird(which should still out perform the 1ghz duron) is listed at 68 bucks, INSANE, the 950 duron is listed at 56 bucks, 950 tbird=61, amd is gutting their own market.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

FatBurger

Illustrious
You're right. But still, the Morgan will come down in price. It's mostly a novelty item at the moment, I should think.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I would assume that amd makes more profit on the duron, due to higher yield and smaller die size, could it be that in their effort to crush intel price wise they have shot themselves in the foot so to speak?

And it isnt just the newest durons, ALL of the durons are priced within 5 bucks of their equavelently clocked tbird counterparts, which begs the question, what good is the duron line?

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

They make pretty earrings and they hurt if you sit on them when the pins are facing upwards and your not wearing clothes

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :smile:

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Supply and Demand. Right now they just came out. Supply is low so the prices are higher. There is so much a volume of 1.2 TBirds that they are priced lower, but when produced volume starts increasing then the price will drop considerably, possibly below $55. And also I wouldn't take Accubyte's advertised prices seriously since most of those low bid companies rape you on shipping, but Accubyte is the worst.

To <b>HELL</b> with your damned cookie.... :mad: ptooo!! :mad:
Change the signature of the week

The Durons are good I think for:

1. People who supply low end systems to grannys and aunties.

2. I might get one for my Internet system (just for internet access). A Duron will more than handle that.

<b><font color=blue>Change the</font color=blue><font color=red> sig of</font color=red><font color=green> the week!</font color=green> :tongue: </b>

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
If you look at when the 950 duron came out, it was as expensive as the 1ghz tbird. The 1ghz duron will come down in price within the next few weeks by quite a bit.

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
All true, however, even the LOWER durons are coming in less than 5 bucks cheaper than their tbird counterparts, why would anyone take a 15% performance hit to save 5 bucks, it does not make any sense.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

FatBurger

Illustrious
ATTENTION:

According to the Register, the new Morgans will work in an MP board.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
All true, however, even the LOWER durons are coming in less than 5 bucks cheaper than their tbird counterparts, why would anyone take a 15% performance hit to save 5 bucks, it does not make any sense.
No it doesn't, not any longer. The only allure of a Duron was that it was cheap and you could overclock it alot, expecially the lower ones (like my 600). For absolute performance you never did choose a Duron. Even at 1000mhz the Duron was outperformed by an Athlon 850 or 900.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yeah the tbirds overclock much better, they should discontinue the duron line, or cut its prices further to make it fit as a value processor.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The T-birds will probably be AMD's value line for a while once the Athlon4 is released.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If street prices were more in line with AMD's pricing scheme I don't think the Duron would be such processor without a home. I misplaced the AMD pricing schedule link but I think Athlon's were supposed to be priced at something like $100 for 900 up to $240 for the 1.4 and the Durons under $100 except for whatever is new at the time (in this case the new 1 ghz Morgan core) which might be $120-ish. This would make more sense. However, with OEM 1.4 Athlons going for $106, Durons just don't seem viable.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Indeed - they are cheaper than some performance coolers. How much cheaper can they get?

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Don't ask me. I thought Athlon 1.0s might have stopped at just under $100. I <b>NEVER</b> would have guessed they would drop to $72 (but I'm glad I waited).

$72 is less than I paid for my Duron 600 which I overclocked to 1007mhz. Now I could upgrade to a 1000 mhz Athlon and overclock from there (hopefully to 1.4ghz) and see huge gains for short money. I only upgrade when I will see huge gains.

We've come a long way from the day I bought a 486 motherboard and a DX4/100 for $500 and one Toshiba 16MB SIMM for another $500.

G

Ahh, but the reason the prices are so wierd is because the Athlon is such a good seller advertisers on pricewatch are fighting for the lowest price. The lowest priced advertiser on price watch is taking about a 70 dollar loss per cpu, but if you'll notice, everything else on the websites are high priced.

Aklein

Member of the change the sig of the week lobby to congress

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
How does that old joke go?

How do you make money when you lose on each sale?

Answer: Volume. (aargh!)

Phsstpok

"Sir, would like a quarter pounder?"
"No thanks, better give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon."