Whoa whoa whoa, where do I stick my monitor?

grarap

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
Now this may sound like a totally bizare question, but I just ordered a MSI P965 Platinum and LG widescreen monitor. However I've got no idea if the board has a connector for my screen, and I certainly cant see one. Could somebody here quickly put my mind at rest and tell me which port my monitor should connect to, and whether there's any chance that I could connect a DVI cable to it? Sorry, its my first time building a system!

haywood

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
1. Did you order a video card? THe connector for the monitor would be on that since the mobo does not have built in graphics.

2. Send that mobo back and get the Gigabyte P965 DS3 or Asus P5B-E. Both are much better. You will still need a vid card. If you don't want or need a vid card get the Gigabyte G965-DS3, G stands for graphics.

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
on the same page MSI it is a small button "technical specifications" did you noticed it?
oki if not i did and it says that specific mobo has not integrated graphics -your connector to the monitor problem
usually we connect monitors to video cards ..right guys?
oki don't mean to be harsh but consider some research before posting

Sheepish

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
No integrated graphics + no gfx card = no display!

If you dont play any 3d games either change mobo to something with integrated, Scan do a DS3 with integrated for only a few pounds more. Or buy a cheap 7100/7300 or x1350. Gaming and you'll need more ^^

I ordered the exact same monitor from OCUK on Sunday and it arrived today. Same picture features on OCUK but it arrived as a silver monitor and black stand instead of the black monitor / white stand as pictured. If you could report back with what yours looks like when it arrives :)

grarap

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
on the same page MSI it is a small button "technical specifications" did you noticed it?
oki if not i did and it says that specific mobo has not integrated graphics -your connector to the monitor problem

I'll totally ignore that arrogance and idiocy and thank the rest of the forum members for helping me out :D . My current monitor attatches to the back of my Dell, and it's the only computer I've ever owned. How was I supposed to know that monitors attatch to graphics cards?

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
well let's get things straight
first of all i apologize for being such a arrogant and an idiot .sincerely it was not my intention to being so but i felt the urge to say it maybe it was not a good ideea after all
My current monitor attatches to the back of my Dell, and it's the only computer I've ever owned. How was I supposed to know that monitors attatch to graphics cards?
if i knew it first place ...
second on these forums you can get a lot of helpful tips
third before calling someone arrogant and idiot check out what tips that arrogant and idiot offered it may turn out that things are different
not a good way to say it or not the right situation but sincerely i do like that you said i mean that you had the guts to speak your mind!
ps if i offended you once again i apologize( shaking hands )

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

I'll totally ignore that arrogance and idiocy and thank the rest of the forum members for helping me out :D . My current monitor attatches to the back of my Dell, and it's the only computer I've ever owned. How was I supposed to know that monitors attatch to graphics cards?

Good for you. You'll need a graphics card as mentioned above since the board doesn't have integrated graphics. Depending on what your end goal is for the PC (gaming?) you may need a decent card, or you may be able to get away with a minimal setup. This is probably the place to ask for a recommendation if you want to let us know what you will be using the PC for...

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006

its an honest mistake. Its why we ask the experts on the forum to review our builds before we build them. You should also check out the pictures on newegg before buying. What can you do?

If you want to game, get a 7900GS or X1950XT. if you just want basic video get any cheap PCI Express X 16 card.

For great deals check out my thread:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1664322#1664322

A great deal is the BFG 6600GT for $30 after MIR, or the BFG 7900gs for $99. the deal on the 6600gt ends on the 31st, and the deal on the 7900gs ends tonite. Check out the thread for more.

PCAnalyst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Yeah... unfortunately out of all the MSI P965 boards made you chose the board with no graphics capability.

I will sometimes peruse the local computer store for a $5 to $10 video card for work/office computers.

Then again you are getting quite the Monitor and DVI cards would be higher $$.

That $30 6600 GT which Billdcat suggested is a great little card for serious video playability and even modest gaming by todays standards... so not too painful of a correction for ya at least.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Yeah... unfortunately out of all the MSI P965 boards made you chose the board with no graphics capability.

I will sometimes peruse the local computer store for a $5 to $10 video card for work/office computers.

Then again you are getting quite the Monitor and DVI cards would be higher $$.

That $30 6600 GT which Billdcat suggested is a great little card for serious video playability and even modest gaming by todays standards... so not too painful of a correction for ya at least.

yea, my X800Gt which I replaced yesterday was roughly equivalent to a 6600GT. It could play BF2 and Farcry pretty well. Get it, you wont regret it. Either that or the 7900gs, both amazing deals that end painfully soon.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
eh, you didn't get flamed too hard for something so super noob-tastic. ;)

Eh, I remember the days when I didn't know what plugged in where and would spend hours making sure that the mobo would work with my CPU, RAM, GFX, and monitor before ordering. You should have checked the motherboard specs before buying and next time you might want want to make a build post and ask for advice (although I would take it with a grain of salt around here) before you order. I consider myself a bit of a PC hardware expert and I still ask for input on my builds (mostly to try and save money but I could have made some kind of mistake that someone could point out to me ahead of time). Peer review is a good and being called a noob a few times along the way is par for the course. As long as they give you the information you need don't let it get under your skin. It's not nearly as obnoxious as someone purposefully giving you the information you ask for in formats that are incomplete or incomprehensible to you ;)

So yeah, get a GFX card. Check that the interface on the GFX card matches the interface on the mobo before you order it, and welcome to computer hobbying.... noobface. :D