thegreennico

Reputable
Jul 28, 2018
Hey everyone. I've been tackling with my custom built computer for probably around a year now and cannot get <Mod Edit> to work for the life of me. It spends a large majority of it's uptime running games of various intensity.

Here are the specs:
Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeFroce GTX 1080ti
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
PSU: EVGA 700w Bronze
RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX
Storage: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 1x Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB HDD
Fans: 4x 120mm fans
Monitors: 1x AOC AGON AG241QG4 (attached w/ DP), 1x Acer G226HQL (attached w/ DVI-I)

Currently I'm facing two main problems that I'm looking to solve. The first is the entire computer freezing, to the point I have to hit the reset button on my case. Programs freeze first, then Windows freezes, and then I have to hit restart. Occasionally there will be temporary freeze with a game that will sort itself out after a 1-3 seconds, and these occurrences are spread out over at least an hour, pretty uncommon. The other issue is individual games freezing. They will either hard freeze, and force me to End Task them, or they'll hard freeze and give me an error box. The contents of said box vary from game to game, but they almost always have DXGI error, D3D error, or something about "device removed".

Figuring this was an issue with my GPU, I sent it in to Gigabyte for repairs after doing some troubleshooting on my own and they found no issues with it, and sent it back seemingly unchanged.

Was previously running Windows off of my HDD, but thought my issues might be from a faulting hard drive, so I got the SSD and am now running Windows off of that, and I'm still facing the issues.

Internal temps have always been fine, and I've also recently purchased a new case with the fans listed above, and a more spacious interior, so I don't think anything is overheating.

Just updated my mobo's BIOS and drivers, GPU drivers are the most recent (have also tried rolling them back to no avail).

I have never tried to overclock anything as I don't know anything about that, and I've never had this setup stable enough to even want to attempt overclocking, so nothing should be overclocked.

I have also followed this video in adding TdrLevel into the registry. Initially it seemed to help the game crashes, but clearly has not removed them all together, and Windows crashes are still an issue. I do have a backup of the registry before any edits were made so if I need to go back I should be able to.

So yeah, I'm really lost as to what I can do. Every time I replace a part it doesn't help, and the Gigabyte says the GPU is fine. I'm running out of ideas and would appreciate any help that can be offered.

Last edited by a moderator:
u could try better PSU, yours isnt really great unit, its used for entry level gaming rigs

thegreennico

Reputable
Jul 28, 2018
u could try better PSU, yours isnt really great unit, its used for entry level gaming rigs

I figured the wattage is what would matter most above all else, but I see that's not the case. Aside from efficiency, what's the actual difference between the different "certifications?" The power supply calculator suggested this one, but I'm now realizing that I really don't have any clue what to look for in a power supply. What specs should I prioritize?

This is my Power Supply Calculator results, by the way: https://outervision.com/b/KyrbUz