[SOLVED] Whole laptop seems to lag for a moment

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016
I am playing on my Lenovo Legion Y720. My games are installed on a 2.5 inch ssd and discord is installed on a m.2 ssd.

Earlier while I was playing rainbow six, I have got about 1 or 2 instances where in my fps would drop from 100 to 30 and also my cursor would be choppy and even the voices of my friends in discord would get choppy as well. This lasts for about at most 5 seconds.

Could this be caused by overheating? I havent cleaned my laptop for about 5 months and it has always been placed on top of a laptop cooling pad (cooling pad fans not working anymore) on my desk in a corner where I game. Whenever I am gaming I use the fan boost software installed on my laptop. I also undervolt my cpu to -120mV in intel xtu. But when a game is running my laptop would get very hot under the spacebar.

33C ambient temp

Solution
I have fixed it somehow because over the other weekend I bought some thermal paste (Kryonaut) and a can of compressed air, I re pasted the heat sync for the CPU and GPU and I detached the fans to properly use the compressed on them. My temps under load dropped around 10C from before. I also found one of the flat cables connector things (the ones where you put the flat cable underneath and then you just flip the white plastic part) was loose, meaning the plastic part wasnt pressing against the cable, so I just flipped it back down against the cable. It has been almost a week after I did all those things and I havent had the problem reoccur.

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016
Monitor the temperatures when this occurs.
Do you have any other programs running at the same time?
I have Google Chrome, Steam, Discord, Uplay, Rainbow Six, Core Temp, Lenovo Nerve Center (Fan Boost and Keyboard rgb), and Geforce Experience

I use Geforce Experience to Capture 1 minute replays, so i think it is recording all the time but only saves 1 minute replays, this is just a rough guess but recently, Geforce Experience wasnt running and I dont recall any FPS drops like the one I mentioned before.

Will monitor my temperatures.

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016
I have fixed it somehow because over the other weekend I bought some thermal paste (Kryonaut) and a can of compressed air, I re pasted the heat sync for the CPU and GPU and I detached the fans to properly use the compressed on them. My temps under load dropped around 10C from before. I also found one of the flat cables connector things (the ones where you put the flat cable underneath and then you just flip the white plastic part) was loose, meaning the plastic part wasnt pressing against the cable, so I just flipped it back down against the cable. It has been almost a week after I did all those things and I havent had the problem reoccur.

Solution