Question Whole pc crashes and restarts itself ingame or on game (Apex Legends) open

Quinnfuzzball

Prominent
Jun 3, 2021
This issue is flying right past me every time I try and fix it. I've used just about all my resources and they haven't helped.
Here's some details, feel free to ask for more:
If you need a speccy, dxdiag, or ini, I'll grab it.
5800x No OC
5700xt (Radeon) No OC
16 giggle bits of well loved ram. (no horns)
Asrock b450 Pro4
Corsair RM650x (650w power supply)
Windows 10 and its latest update.

This issue is with Apex Legends. Please excuse my dear Copy Paste. I had originally asked EAs Answers HQ and it feels like more of a "scream into a void and feel better about it" kind of forum. I'll edit it to make it make more sense.

This issue has been happening since October, on and off how it happens. When I open the game, there's a chance it will crash my PC entirely and start rebooting instantly just as the game finishes the fancy loading animation. My PC will have shut off and start booting again as if I had hit the reset button on my PC itself. It will crash this way every time there's a crash. The game also crashes in the menu where I can gather parties and choose game modes and such. Same crash. It may also happen suddenly in game with what seems to be no direct correlation to any specific thing I do, whether its typing, shooting, dropping from ship, or running. It has crashed in BR and in the Winter NBR modes both randomly and consistently. the weekend of12/3-12/4 and just before the winter update, the issue had stopped or it did not occur. But it had occurred the weekend prior. I had gotten about 2 games into playing the winter game mode before it crashed again. After attempting to let my PC reboot after shutting down manually, restarting the game would consistently crash upon passing the loading animation. I would not get to see the hub menu before my PC crashed. I did this about a few times before giving up.
Attempting to fix this issue:
  • I have updated, and downgraded my graphics drivers. I even tried the enterprise update that I had the option to use with no difference.
  • Clean wiped my graphics drivers in safe mode and reinstalled. No difference.
  • I had ran an antivirus, all clean.
  • Ran CCleaner, All good. (Don't judge. Programs nice.)
  • Updated the rest of the drivers on my PC to make sure there up to date.
  • Uninstalled programs I don't use.
  • Turned off all startup applications and otherwise that I do not need running in the background. (Usually nothings on anyways.)
  • Attempted to run Easy Anti Cheat in low priority mode, that is if the game even had started properly. No luck.
  • Wallpaper Engine running or not hasn't effected outcome. Keeping it off for now anyways.
  • Reinstalled the game. Also on another drive. (originally my boot drive) No change, though game loads slowly. (My external SSD from 2014. Still kickin. Time to retire the poor thing?)
^ For note, my game is currently running on my C: drive.
  • Ran game immediately after PC boot.
  • Game already has firewall exceptions.
  • Frame rate is capped for monitor refresh rate/vsync. Tried with and without vsync and freesync.

And with that I am lost. I've done all I can do. I can scour my PC well if there's a service I have to turn off or something.
The game continues to crash. I plan on reinstalling Windows 10 a few months from now when I have built my new PC, but I don't want to have to do it now just to have myself do it again later. I am seriously out of luck or ideas here.
If you need any more information please ask I'll grab it for you.

Lutfij

Titan
Updated the rest of the drivers on my PC to make sure there up to date.
Considering you used CCleaner while on Windows 10, did you use Driver Booster?

Asrock b450 Pro4
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at this moment of time?

How old is the unit in your build?

Got a link to your ram kit used?

(My external SSD from 2014. Still kickin. Time to retire the poor thing?)
my game is currently running on my C: drive.

Would be a good idea to mention your storage options, with their make and model.

Last edited:
What kind of cooling are you using and what’s airflow in your case look like?

The 5800x is known to run warmer than other ryzen cpus of its era. I’m using one myself and have a 240mm aio on it, and it has hit 80 degrees Celsius before during cinebench r23.

According to this article the 5700xt can go up to 110 degrees Celsius. My experience has been many times that crashes happen due to power or

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-gets-hot-but-its-supposed-to

How old is your power supply? The Corsair rmx is a great unit, but power supplies do age and can’t always output the same amount of power they did when new. According to amd the minimum power supply for that card is 600 watts.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

In my opinion I’d start with these things.

1. Go to AsRock’s site and make sure you have the latest bios installed, if not, update it in case they have fixed anything in it.
  2. Go to amd.com, download and install the latest chipset drivers for your board.
  3. From amd.com, install the latest gpu drivers, use the ones that say recommended, not optional.

Also use a temperature monitoring program like hwmonitor to check your temps. If you don’t have good cooling you may wish to upgrade by adding more case fans to try to move air, or even install a new cpu cooler. As I said I’m using a 240mm aio and my 5800x can still heat up decently.

Quinnfuzzball

Prominent
Jun 3, 2021
Updated the rest of the drivers on my PC to make sure there up to date.
Considering you used CCleaner while on Windows 10, did you use Driver Booster?

Asrock b450 Pro4
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at this moment of time?

How old is the unit in your build?

Got a link to your ram kit used?

(My external SSD from 2014. Still kickin. Time to retire the poor thing?)
my game is currently running on my C: drive.

Would be a good idea to mention your storage options, with their make and model.

I've used CCleaner to check my drivers. All up to date.

I'll update again after I've checked my BIOS. Should be latest. I figure resetting to defaults and checking my XMP are options here too. If I'm up to date I'll do that too.

Power supply is from 2019.

Teamgroup Vulcan. 2 8gb sticks DDR4-3000

The external SSD is a 1 tb WD My Passport from some time before 2015. Windows just told me it malfunctioned when I plugged it in lol. USB Micro B was a gift to us all.
(It's been unplugged since I haven't needed it, so it's not a problem for my crashing issue.)
My C: drive is a 500gb WD Blue M.2 SSD and my 2nd storage is a 1tb Crucial M.2 2280

Quinnfuzzball

Prominent
Jun 3, 2021
What kind of cooling are you using and what’s airflow in your case look like?

The 5800x is known to run warmer than other ryzen cpus of its era. I’m using one myself and have a 240mm aio on it, and it has hit 80 degrees Celsius before during cinebench r23.

According to this article the 5700xt can go up to 110 degrees Celsius. My experience has been many times that crashes happen due to power or

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-gets-hot-but-its-supposed-to

How old is your power supply? The Corsair rmx is a great unit, but power supplies do age and can’t always output the same amount of power they did when new. According to amd the minimum power supply for that card is 600 watts.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

In my opinion I’d start with these things.

1. Go to AsRock’s site and make sure you have the latest bios installed, if not, update it in case they have fixed anything in it.
  2. Go to amd.com, download and install the latest chipset drivers for your board.
  3. From amd.com, install the latest gpu drivers, use the ones that say recommended, not optional.
Also use a temperature monitoring program like hwmonitor to check your temps. If you don’t have good cooling you may wish to upgrade by adding more case fans to try to move air, or even install a new cpu cooler. As I said I’m using a 240mm aio and my 5800x can still heat up decently.
I have this all stuck in a Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-04 ATX Mid Tower Case. I don't remember the model but its a beefy 2 fan Thermalright. I have wondered about the 5800x's heat output before since it gets pretty toasty. I repasted before and had better thermals, only if very slightly. I've ran benchmarks to test thermals and they came out fine. Nothing thermal throttling or too hot. If I manage to log my highest temps, I'll note them here. I plan on running some more benchmarks at once to see if I crash on high loads. There's 2 fans going in the front, one on top closest to the back fan which I also have. 2 in, 2 out. All case fans ramp up properly and I have them all on custom fan curves to be more blowy. I'm not too concerned about noise.' I plan on getting an AIO when my whole build comes together.

I'm figuring it's my power supply. It's my most likely guess here. I can purchase one now since I'll need a new one anyways and if I cant resolve the issue otherwise I will give that a shot. No harm in it. My father works in IT and said my 650 should cut it (it's cutting it) but he's also not big on a lot of the "LATEST TECH WOW" and was trying to scrounge together a new PC from the parts he had lying around and the 30 or so PC's he has in storage so hes a great resource, most the time. He ran out of ideas. (Thankfully hes building a totally new PC. Kicking the PC from 2013 out of house n home. Had a good run. Sorry for story time.) I'll go to the walls here and get some over the top but not too crazy power supply so I don't run across an issue with shoving new parts in an old build again.

The optional and recommended this time around with the drivers are the same. Had to reinstall this morning.

There's something else I'd like to mention. On occasion, the crash will break my drivers and they wont show up in Windows. Not in search, in control panel, or the context menu. Weird? It's often enough to mention but not every crash.

Another note is nothing special shows up in Event Viewer (Windows logs, Applications). No errors or warnings to note after a crash. As in none at all. I had a Thumbprint issue but resolved it and that wasn't my problem.