[SOLVED] Whole system replacement or not

Dec 22, 2019
Hello.

This is my first time in this forum so sorry I make any mistakes.

My PC is already 19 years old and was bought from 2008. It was still running smoothly after a new GPU and RAM and upgraded to Windows 10 but still the same cpu. I was already happy with it. However, 2 years earlier. It mysteriously died and made a long bang. I don't why but I think a pest was the reason. At that point, it was no longer working. No post, no screen, No lights in the case. Nothing.

I was thinking of buying a new motherboard instead and just reuse my old components and my GPU upgrade was already quite expensive.

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core
GPU: Nvidia GTX 630 (i think 670)
RAM: 4GB

Solution
I

I will consider these parts. School work and I don't play games too much but I would prefer to run the modern games atleast decent.

You could also sub in a Used CPU as well and either save some money or get better performance provided your using the GPU you have.

1200 $56 4 Core 4 Thread Total system price $249
1400 $70 4 Core 8 Thread Total system price $263
1500X $75 4 Core 8 Thread Total system price $267.5
1600 $85 6 Core 12 Thread Total system price $280.43

You could also compensate on RAM and then manually overclock to 3200mhz
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Patriot Viper 4 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $34.99

1600 $85 6...
Definitely start with everything new. A new (modern) motherboard will of course require a new CPU and modern RAM as well. A very old PSU will not be good for new components for several reasons. Even an old case can be a problem due to how air flow and psu mounting practices have changed, among other things.

What are your goals for this computer? Is it for gaming, web browsing, photo/video editing, word processing, etc? How much do you want to spend? Will you want a new monitor? If not, what are your current monitor’s specifications and would you like to plan for a monitor upgrade in the future?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I would scrap that thing personally. Not sure where you live but if there is any used PC market you could probably pick up a PC more modern and powerful than that thing for close to the price of a new motherboard. If the motherboard is the issue, could be the power supply as well, or both.

Reactions: TheGlitch
Dec 22, 2019
I would've done that by now if I can afford it. But seeing the results after playing games like GTA 4 with 50fps or Minecraft in 100+ fps. I'm generally happy with it already. I wasnt able to test modern games because my internet is too slow in my area to download.

Although, I tried already replacing the power supply. No results. I'm more convinced it is the motherboard issue.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Honestly, it's probably the power supply and by the sounds of it your computer usage must be pretty low. Windows 10 runs poorly on 4GB of RAM and a Dual Core is pretty obsolete now with everything including browsers wanting a Quad-core.

You would get a better experience with just a Ryzen APU/MB/RAM/SSD and a new power supply.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston A400 240 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($31.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($58.48 @ Amazon)
Total: $270.43

As an example of how cheaply you could build something. Where do you like by the way?

Dec 22, 2019
Definitely start with everything new. A new (modern) motherboard will of course require a new CPU and modern RAM as well. A very old PSU will not be good for new components for several reasons. Even an old case can be a problem due to how air flow and psu mounting practices have changed, among other things.

What are your goals for this computer? Is it for gaming, web browsing, photo/video editing, word processing, etc? How much do you want to spend? Will you want a new monitor? If not, what are your current monitor’s specifications and would you like to plan for a monitor upgrade in the future?
The RAM sticks were completely replaced because they were completely incompatible with the new GPU. Along with the PSU. It was also newly bought at that time. I asked advice from my relatives who are good in PCs and recommended me the voltage I needed. Replacing the case shouldn't be a problem. However, I want to stick with the things I bought already.

Dec 22, 2019
I
Honestly, it's probably the power supply and by the sounds of it your computer usage must be pretty low. Windows 10 runs poorly on 4GB of RAM and a Dual Core is pretty obsolete now with everything including browsers wanting a Quad-core.

You would get a better experience with just a Ryzen APU/MB/RAM/SSD and a new power supply.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston A400 240 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($31.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($58.48 @ Amazon)
Total: $270.43

As an example of how cheaply you could build something. Where do you like by the way?
I will consider these parts. School work and I don't play games too much but I would prefer to run the modern games atleast decent.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I

You could also sub in a Used CPU as well and either save some money or get better performance provided your using the GPU you have.

1200 $56 4 Core 4 Thread Total system price $249
1400 $70 4 Core 8 Thread Total system price $263
1500X $75 4 Core 8 Thread Total system price $267.5
1600 $85 6 Core 12 Thread Total system price $280.43

You could also compensate on RAM and then manually overclock to 3200mhz
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Patriot Viper 4 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $34.99

1600 $85 6 Core 12 Thread Total system price $268.43

Solution
The RAM sticks were completely replaced because they were completely incompatible with the new GPU. Along with the PSU. It was also newly bought at that time. I asked advice from my relatives who are good in PCs and recommended me the voltage I needed. Replacing the case shouldn't be a problem. However, I want to stick with the things I bought already.

RAM on the motherboard would not have anything to do with the video card, if someone said you needed to replace it they were wrong.

You did not list your full system specs or your budget. A loud bang is most likely your power supply blowing up, from the sounds of the rest of the system I am guessing you bought a cheap low quality one, the power supply is not a component to buy in low quality. I doubt anything you have now in the system is worth re-using. The Ryzen build above is great for the price, although if you are not in the US your prices are likely to be higher.