Whoops! 20 Of The Funniest Fails From Apple's iOS Maps App

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Jobs never would have let this thing out of the door. Shame on Apple.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
By fails, I was expecting more of a "turn right" into a river or a high-ground bridge, but most of these are immature satellite pictures and inaccurate location settings that were existent in the early Google Maps.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Apparently maps apps are more complex and harder to make right especially with 3D pics added. And apple just jump in thinking they could just fix any whoops on the fly and just ride out the storm.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I laughed pretty good.
What Apple should do it keep this version and restamp it "Electronic Acid Trip Maps" for a novelty.
Oh, and add the purple flare to the pictures!

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Sometimes, you might spontaneously feel the need to buy an Apple product.
67.png

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
so thats why my road trip from NY to Rome landed me in a cold prison colony with pictures of the "dear leader" everywhere.

one other thing, in picture 20, I would prefer the city to look like that, Imagine getting good off road vehicle and driving around that area at full speed. That will make your trip to the store a lot more exciting.

tristangl

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Picture 10 is stupid it is not driving in circle... only 3 different way to get to the point (even if the path stop a bit before the destination)

You have to be pretty stupid to start going in circle between 3 different routes proposed... i guess toms hardware should stick to computer related news and not orientation

[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]By fails, I was expecting more of a "turn right" into a river or a high-ground bridge, but most of these are immature satellite pictures and inaccurate location settings that were existent in the early Google Maps.[/citation]
yes, google maps had some pretty fun flubs when it was introduced 7 YEARS AGO!!!
Most people that purchase apple products do not mind their relatively high prices because the product generally works very well out of the box, they are simple to use, and their bundled software tends to be very good. For apple to stop using Google Maps early (still 1 year on their contract), while forcing a new and immature product on it's users is simply not the apple way. Designing a product and leaving out features so that people have to upgrade in a year or two is the apple way, but it is one thing to leave out a feature, and an entirely different thing to give a feature that has so many issues. I am sure that apple maps will improve a ton very quickly, but it is not like them to release something half-assed.

As stated by boece: Jobs would have never let this happen. Ever. And if something like this did happen, entire departments of people would be fired and replaced. Thus begins the sinking of apple from being the product of superiority, to just becoming another company with flawed products.

[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]By fails, I was expecting more of a "turn right" into a river or a high-ground bridge, but most of these are immature satellite pictures and inaccurate location settings that were existent in the early Google Maps.[/citation]
At least Google released Maps/Earth as a beta and worked to correct many issues before removing the BETA tag.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]We really needed a picture guide to how bad their map app is? ok...[/citation]
Believe it or not, some people don't own iPhones and haven't had to deal with the maps nightmare.

I guess my Android phone...just works?

Zing!

[citation][nom]burmese_dude[/nom]http://media.bestofmicro.com/ios-m [...] 558-22.pngApple map's dolphin user_friendly. It includes swimming route also.[/citation]
Google maps are perfect, get your diving gear - http://revolution31.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/google-maps-error.png

Google when they switched over from f/k/a Tele Atlas (now TomTom) suffered the same exact problems, and both Apple and Google have the resources to have stellar data though I prefer some of Apples third-party choices e.g. Yelp vs Google Places.

Status
Not open for further replies.