Whoops! Canon i9900

I did something really stupid. I had the paper size set incorrectly. As a
result, it printed the picture on nothing! All the ink that was suppose to
go on the paper went into the sponge/felt catchers!!! Man, what an idiot....
Anyway, I guess this really shortened the life of the printer, no?

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Some Computer wrote:
> I did something really stupid. I had the paper size set incorrectly. As a
> result, it printed the picture on nothing! All the ink that was suppose to
> go on the paper went into the sponge/felt catchers!!! Man, what an idiot....
> Anyway, I guess this really shortened the life of the printer, no?

I'm curious as I too have an i9900. What size paper did you actually use
and what size was print set for?
Thanks.
Frank

BURT

May add to the ink in the "ink tank" which may slightly hasten the dreaded
ink tank full message. Doing this once should not be of any concern. The
printer eprom keeps track of cleaning cycles and printing borderless prints
and maintains a count toward the ink tank full message. The printer gives
you a warning and then prints for a while before shutting down. You then
have to take it to a service tech to have the "diaper" that catches the ink
under the printer changed and the counter reset. There are some reset codes
floating around on the internet and I have read that you can get away with
doing one reset before the thing is full enough to cause a problem (ink
flood). You have to do the reset before the printer shuts down. For
someone very adventurous there may also be instructions on some of the
forums that describe how to open the printer, clean or replace the "diaper",
and reset the printer eprom counter.

"Some Computer" <BiteMe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I did something really stupid. I had the paper size set incorrectly. As a
> result, it printed the picture on nothing! All the ink that was suppose to
> go on the paper went into the sponge/felt catchers!!! Man, what an
> idiot....
> Anyway, I guess this really shortened the life of the printer, no?

Thanks for the info!

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> May add to the ink in the "ink tank" which may slightly hasten the dreaded
> ink tank full message. Doing this once should not be of any concern.
The
> printer eprom keeps track of cleaning cycles and printing borderless
prints
> and maintains a count toward the ink tank full message. The printer gives
> you a warning and then prints for a while before shutting down. You
then
> have to take it to a service tech to have the "diaper" that catches the
ink
> under the printer changed and the counter reset. There are some reset
codes
> floating around on the internet and I have read that you can get away with
> doing one reset before the thing is full enough to cause a problem (ink
> flood). You have to do the reset before the printer shuts down. For
> someone very adventurous there may also be instructions on some of the
> forums that describe how to open the printer, clean or replace the
"diaper",
> and reset the printer eprom counter.
>
> "Some Computer" <BiteMe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I did something really stupid. I had the paper size set incorrectly. As a
> > result, it printed the picture on nothing! All the ink that was suppose
> > go on the paper went into the sponge/felt catchers!!! Man, what an
> > idiot....
> > Anyway, I guess this really shortened the life of the printer, no?

Has anyone here had the pad replaced? I see some reports of it costing
almost as much as a new printer. Other say it is only 10 - 20 bucks.

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> May add to the ink in the "ink tank" which may slightly hasten the dreaded
> ink tank full message. Doing this once should not be of any concern.
The
> printer eprom keeps track of cleaning cycles and printing borderless
prints
> and maintains a count toward the ink tank full message. The printer gives
> you a warning and then prints for a while before shutting down. You
then
> have to take it to a service tech to have the "diaper" that catches the
ink
> under the printer changed and the counter reset. There are some reset
codes
> floating around on the internet and I have read that you can get away with
> doing one reset before the thing is full enough to cause a problem (ink
> flood). You have to do the reset before the printer shuts down. For
> someone very adventurous there may also be instructions on some of the
> forums that describe how to open the printer, clean or replace the
"diaper",
> and reset the printer eprom counter.
>
> "Some Computer" <BiteMe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I did something really stupid. I had the paper size set incorrectly. As a
> > result, it printed the picture on nothing! All the ink that was suppose
> > go on the paper went into the sponge/felt catchers!!! Man, what an
> > idiot....
> > Anyway, I guess this really shortened the life of the printer, no?

BURT

The cost is high enough the people with lower end printers that are a year
old or more might just as well buy a new one. The pad itself is very cheap,
and if you were to do it yourself, that would be the cost. I don't know
what a service charge would be, but with printers in the $100 to $150 range,
a $50 to $75 charge would be more than the printer is worth. Remember that
you get a new set of ink cartridges and a one year waranty with the new
printer. I have an i960. I would probably do one reset myself. If the
printer is still working well at the second tank full warning I would
probably find a place to buy the pad, take it apart and try to fix it
myself. If it doesn't work out I'm no further behind than throwing it out
in the first place and buying a new printer! BTW, since I refill my
cartridges, my consumables are so cheap that it wouldn't bother me to have
to purchase a new printer after the first year as opposed to paying nearly
as much as a new printer cost to keep an older unit running. From what I've
read, taking the printer apart to replace the pad is messy but not rocket
science.

> Has anyone here had the pad replaced? I see some reports of it costing
> almost as much as a new printer. Other say it is only 10 - 20 bucks.
>
> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> May add to the ink in the "ink tank" which may slightly hasten the
>> dreaded
>> ink tank full message. Doing this once should not be of any concern.
> The
>> printer eprom keeps track of cleaning cycles and printing borderless
> prints
>> and maintains a count toward the ink tank full message. The printer
>> gives
>> you a warning and then prints for a while before shutting down. You
> then
>> have to take it to a service tech to have the "diaper" that catches the
> ink
>> under the printer changed and the counter reset. There are some reset
> codes
>> floating around on the internet and I have read that you can get away
>> with
>> doing one reset before the thing is full enough to cause a problem (ink
>> flood). You have to do the reset before the printer shuts down. For
>> someone very adventurous there may also be instructions on some of the
>> forums that describe how to open the printer, clean or replace the
> "diaper",
>> and reset the printer eprom counter.
>>
>> "Some Computer" <BiteMe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I did something really stupid. I had the paper size set incorrectly. As
>> > result, it printed the picture on nothing! All the ink that was suppose
>> > go on the paper went into the sponge/felt catchers!!! Man, what an
>> > idiot....
>> > Anyway, I guess this really shortened the life of the printer, no?

Probably not.

If you have easy access to the area the ink ended up, just take a
dampened paper towel and blot up the ink, so it doesn't gum up and
attract dust, or otherwise stain things. If the sponge are ai easily
removable, do so and rinse in cool water and pat dry and allow to dry
well before returning it.

There isn't much damage to be done by this process. The ink head
assumes it was printing to a piece of paper.

Art