Who's King of IDE?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I was planning on getting a couple Maxtor's for a Raid 0. It wasn't to long ago that I thought everybody was on the Maxtor's bang wagon. Now, I'm seeing different post, if Maxtor isn't the biggest and badest for IDE, then who is?

Please cast your vote, before I purchase the drives.

Thanks

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
No one is really the best!

Maxtor has good features as the rest do also. If you read the reviews and base what you want on a few things then you can pick the drive that best suits you.

Like the WD w/ 8MB cache for example. It's one of a kind. It's the only IDE drive with an 8MB cache (pricey to). Other then that Maxtor, IBM, and Seagate are in close running with their drives (Minus the fact that IBM has a crap series and that Baracuda's have bad performance in RAID), you have a lot of factors to look at. In that case I would go with your own personal preference.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks for your reply. I'm looking for the fastest HDD, last I check Maxtor was in most bench marks. Something that would work well with Raid and not crash anytime soon would be a plus too. lol

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Currently Western Digital makes the fastest IDE drives with 8MB Cache. However, they only come in 100 and 120GB.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

If you want the fastest, then go with the WD1200JB. (Western Digital with 8mb cache). Only comes in 120GB though. If you want something smaller, I would go with the 120GXP from IBM. Comes in 40, 80, and 120GB models. Almost 50 mb/s and low access times.

Consulting-If you aren't part of the solution, there's good $$$ to be made in prolonging the problem

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
May be the IBM 120 GXP is the fastest one. The 80 GB version is the most competitive (the lowest $/MB value)among all 120 GXP models. The 120 MB version allows you to have a transfer rate above 48 MB/s for approximately the first 25÷30 GB (everything works in that area.. OS, applications.. will run like a rocket), the cpu/disk utilisation is equal to 0.997 % (the old 60GXP had 2.41 % measured with ZD disk winbench 99 1.1) making the disk similar to a SCSI drives.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Hmmm...Yes in deed WD seems to be kicking butt. But wow, that's a lot of money and a hole lot of GB. So much for a cheap solution going Raid this way. WD is fast, but a decent Raid 0 should take it, since to Raid WD would be a whopping $400. bucks.
Thanks for all your input, it shows me I have a little more planning to do, before I choose my HDD and next mother board.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks for the help all.

From what I gather here and checking things out. How does this sound for some good speed, without getting crazy with money and GB.

Raid 0 with two IBM 40GB GXP? I can get two of those for the price of one WD.

Raid question? If one drive gives me 40-50MB\second, would that mean two set at Raid 0 would be double that?