Who's Who In Power Supplies, 2011: Brands Vs. Manufacturers

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]CrysisGTA4Metro 2033Stalker.Full graphical settings please, with AA/AF, and HDR when available.[/citation]
Huh, didn't realize you had to have everything turned to 11 in the graphical settings to be considered a gamer.

I figured it had to do more with, well, ya know, playing games.

g-unit1111

Titan

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

g-unit1111

Titan

After reading this today I noticed that my PC Power & Cooling Silencer is made by Sirtec and not Seasonic. Then I noticed that Sirtec was popping up on a few power supplies I recommend as well. They're not quite Seasonic or Super Flower but they're definitely up there.

[citation][nom]shades_aus[/nom]That explains why my ANTEC power supplies have died. Although some were made by Seasonic, they were NOT designed by Seasonic.[/citation]
so what explains seasonic power supplies that die? Seriiously, Antec have a very good reputation, and if their power supplies die, its not because of a design fault, it would be a fault at manufacturing or transit damage, or even the power coming from your wall. If it is a design fault by Antec, then every Antec PSU would die, which is far from reality. Stop trolling.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]After reading this today I noticed that my PC Power & Cooling Silencer is made by Sirtec and not Seasonic. Then I noticed that Sirtec was popping up on a few power supplies I recommend as well. They're not quite Seasonic or Super Flower but they're definitely up there.[/citation]

PC Power and Cooling is now owned by OCZ. I recently purchased a 400w MK III, my model was made by Seasonic according to this. I'm happy about that, considering what I spent for it.

zuluprime

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Thank you for enlightening us on this matter! When I buy a PSU I usually search for a long time before I make a final decision. I hope this should make us all more aware of what we are looking at :)

felix666

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Hey Igor, you mix input and output protection. This PS223 chip is a good part, but it monitors the voltage and current outputs. Nothing to do with AC-line input protection or PFC. Nice articles besides that.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I learned this many moons ago when I was starting out and still buying a case with a power supply because it was cheaper, but I was much poorer and had to make due with what I could.

LOL So you updated the power supply article and brought the old comments with it.

I am one of those readers who constantly link this article and am pleased to see it updated.

I would love to see some sort of ranking next to all of the power supplies so readers could see which manufacturers are good and which you should avoid.

kristi_metal

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Hardest thing to choose a good psu, too many models. So if i were to buy a 500-600W PSU, which one will be among the best? as power efficiency, protection etc.

G

After buying a 600W Super Flower Golden King (80 plus platinum) which boasts 90% efficiency, I don't get why the company seems to be unknown by even astute system builders.

It's near silent, drives power well and efficiently, low temperature (never ever above 70 celcius even under load for long periods of time). Some reviews online on a similar 550W version tested that they supply power in a extremely stable and consistent manner, which may be an important on the longevity of other PC components.

It was pricey for a 600W, but comparatively much affordable than other companies' high energy efficiency models, well build and has stable delivery to boot. I feel that more people should give them a try especially as energy prices rise (my country has really high fees).

bucknutty

Distinguished
A few years ago I bought an Apevia Beast 680 watt on sale. I was building a q6600 with 2 8800GT in SLI. I figured 110 watts for the CPU 100 watts for the board and drives, and 120 watts for each video card. 450ish watts total, we should have lots of room even if it is a cheap power supply..

From day one the system simply did not run right, weird blue screens, windows would not see 1 video card, sometimes the system would not post.

Looking at the specs on the side of the PSU I noticed 12 volt rail 1 was good for 16 amps, rail 2 18 amps. No 12 volt combined rating at all. I did a little math and came up with,

Rail 1 16amps x 12volts = 192 watts
Rail 2 18amps x 12volts = 216 watts.

So my PSU advertised at 680 watts was only good for about 400 watts on the 12 volt rails. Not to mention that there was not combined rating so it might even be lower. Who the heck needs 300watts on the 3 and 5 volt rails?

Any way here is a good example of why we need articles like this and why builders should check the specs of PSUs, and not just go off the label on the website.

On the bright side I learned a lot from this adventure on how to choose the right PSU for the build..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS