Whose the Fastest IDE RAID Controller?

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>Okay this site <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/storage/ata100-roundup.html" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/storage/ata100-roundup.html</A> has got me confused. Although I am referenceing the Abit mobo here, this is largely a RAID controller issue - hence the thread category.

I have read continuously about people slamming Abit for using the Hightpoint controller in their KT7A-RAID boards, where people say one should opt for the Promise Fasttrack 100. This link is the first actual comparison I have ever read, and it seems the crap I have been hearing (which were not lab test comparisons like this) is wrong, and people should quit dissin' on my board! On top of that, my own benchmark with 2 45g IBM 75GXP's ran a pretty blistering Sysmark score of 41,952.

Anyone have opinions on this?

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, I haven't had much problem with my HPT370. I've actually heard rumors of benchmarks where it came out faster than the Promise controller, but I have yet to see one.

Generally, the concensus is that it's about 5% slower.

Well, speak of the devil, there's one. I wouldn't trust those benchmarks, though. They don't feel right. And besides, why would a controller do so well in the file benchmarks and so bad in the synthetic benchmarks? Possible, but not likely.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 07/05/01 09:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>Yeah - Kind of my gut feeiling too. But what about my benchmark - not much good with out a comparison. Anyone know if a Sysmark Hard Drive benchmark of 41952 is pretty good? Its own comparison data showed I should only get about 36300.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Umm...you have two 75GXPs, right? I can't remember
With my dual Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60's (30gig), I got around 39000, but I'm gonna do it a couple more times (it crashed on the second test).

My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>Yeah you got it. I have two 75GXPs.

If your'e not running NTFS I am not sure you will see as fast a time though. As I understand it - NTFS helps a lot.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Mmmmmmmmmm.....Beer.

Beer=good
Good=Life with Beer
Spawn of Satan=Prohibition

(I was just going to diss' your board some more, but I was divinely influenced otherwise...)

FatBurger

Illustrious
Actully, prohibition helped out the economy quite a bit. There was just lots of organized crime.

Anyway, I've seen lots of benchmarks with FAT32 faster than NTFS and the other way around. You could always benchmark both and see which is better. I'm going to do that eventually.

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>Well, I must admit - I should do that (becnhmark a FAT32 drive from win98) as I have both on my machine and that would be the fairest comparison, but it my precious computer is in pieces right now (waiting on a mobo RMA) so it will be a little while before I can try it. However, I am absolutely convinced based on personal experience that in real world usage, NTFS kicks the [-peep-] out of FAT32. Seriously slower access times from Autocad, WordPerfect, Quattro Pro, ACDSee, etc.

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>EJ???? That mofo dissin' on me mobo????

Sheeeeeit! Slap my fro - I keeel that mofo.

Spare me summadat <b><i>Colt 45!!!!

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>For the sake of bulllshitting, Did you know that it is a mathematial fact that women are evil?

We all know that women equal a lot of time and money spent....

<i>women = time X money</i>

and that time is money.....
<i>time = money</i>

therefore....
<i>women = money X money</i>

or...
<i>women = square(money)</i>

Take into account that money is the root of all evil...
<i>money = sq root(evil)</i>

then you see...
<i>women = square( sq root(evil)</i>

or.....
<i>women = evil</i>

I always knew it.....

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peach on 07/05/01 02:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, we've all seen that before, but thanks for posting it regardless. Or not.

Anyhow, benchmark FAT32 from W2k as well as 98. It'd give you a better comparison if you do both.

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>Thats the problem with email - <i>everyone knows what color your [-peep-] is before you do</i>. But I thought Ej would get a kick out of it.

Anyway - my dad (no I am not young - he just an old fart) has an identical setup to mine (1.2 t-bird, Abit KT7A-RAID, 2 75gxp's) except he's using w2k exclusively. I am not sure he has any FAT32 partitions though. I use NT for stability - its typical a workhorse for CAD. Anyway, when I get everything together (~week), I'll try and get a comprehensive test to find out conclusively which is better. I wonder what feedback it will get on HD forum?