Whould this CPU work well in my PC ? AMD Athlon X2 4850e

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hello i cureantly have this specs , and i wanted to upgrade my slow CPU with this one (AMD Athlon X2 4850e ADH4850IAA5DO ) could that be possible withou any problems in heating or anything ?
My current specs:
CPU = AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2,4 ghz 1-core
Video Card = Gainward GeForce 9500 GT 1GB
RAM : 4GB DDR2 RAM (2x 2GB)
Power Supply = 300 W
Motherboard = HP Nance

The procesor should work i think , he got 45W TDP , 2-cores , socket AM2 ... if this is ok then i will buy one , but i also wanted to ask if something faster like the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Black Edition with 65 W whould work because the thermal design power on my motherboard says a maximum of 64W and i´m affraid that 1W will cause problems.
THANKS IN ADVICE !

Solution
its not the wattage that your motherboard won't recognize. its the cpu itself. your motherboard was made around the same time as the athlon 64 series of processors, then after a while amd releases a new cpu the athlon x2 series.... now your motherboard has no idea what an athlon x2 is, which means it won't work with it at all unless you update the bios (the brain of the motherboard) so it knows what an athlon x2 is and how to work it.

so no the 45w athlon x2 might not work with your motherboard. ALL the x2s have the same chance of not working.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I believe that is this MB: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00866109#N116
It probably is a Foxconn MCP61M2MB

The extra watt rating on the CPU is not an issue. What will be, is whether or not the MB's BIOS will recognize the processor. Usually one has to update the BIOS version when upgrading to a later processor. And in your case, I doubt updates are still available. So you will be taking a chance that the board will recognize any newer CPU without a BIOS update.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Yes , that´s my mobo , and you say that is a chance that the BIOS couldn´t recognise the CPU ? Then what with the 45W one , it should work , no ? On the CPU Upgrade says that dual core tehnology X2 is supported but only 64W ...

its not the wattage that your motherboard won't recognize. its the cpu itself. your motherboard was made around the same time as the athlon 64 series of processors, then after a while amd releases a new cpu the athlon x2 series.... now your motherboard has no idea what an athlon x2 is, which means it won't work with it at all unless you update the bios (the brain of the motherboard) so it knows what an athlon x2 is and how to work it.

so no the 45w athlon x2 might not work with your motherboard. ALL the x2s have the same chance of not working.

Solution

sdogg1m

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Your CPU is not your only problem. You are running with hardware that is six years old. While this hardware can run most games on low settings and have no problems with productivity apps, you may want to think about a new build entirely.

A new CPU unless you get it for free will cost you at least $50. That money can go a long way toward a new build even if it is a budget build.

I just bought a new PC this week for $400. I added an SSD for an additional $100. Something like this will be triple to quadruple the speed of your current build.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Yeah , i know ... thank , if i buy a new one i´ll wait longer because i want some VERY GOOD high end stuff ...
Ow and wgat is the maximum CPU or hardware that can i install and support in this ? Something better that what i have and that is supported :p

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
the problem with that is, unless he updated the mobo bios after the x2s came out, it is highly unlikely that the mobo will support it. it is only an option if he can update his mobo's bios before he gets the cpu. but still, it would be better to just grin and bear it while saving for a new system.

sdogg1m

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
If you are going to tell him to upgrade two components that really is not going to help much then he might as well upgrade everything.

A new CPU on a six year old motherboard along with a video card will not be enough for any extensive task or gaming.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Here is my BIOS version and other stuff , can this help you guys to help me ?
Image Here :
http://imageshack.us/f/838/caw.png/

BIOS Version/Date Pheonix Tehnologies , LTD 5.06 , 28.03.2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4

Please help.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Either way, you take a chance that the BIOS won't recognize a newer chip. At least until we know what the CPU support list looks like and the related BIOS versions required. Look at your MB and see what the make/model number is on it. It will be around the center of the board near the PCIe slots. See if it says MCP61M2MB (Nance).

The problem is, the MB is a OEM board manufactured for HP/Compaq. Finding the CPU/Bios support list is almost impossible with pre-builts. I'd try contacting HP/Compaq if I were you and tell them your BIOS and ask them to verify the best CPU it will accept. Either that or take a chance a used 65W Athlon 64 X2 will work. I think it will, but obviously I can't guarantee it.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

On my MB says MCP61MB with white , and about contacting HP ... can you give me an E-Mail adress please...

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Yes , thanks , i cannot EMAIL HP untill i register my product , and doesn´t work online i need to get out my PC and read the codes tomorrow and i´ll come with feedback...

I E-Mailed HP and know i wait for the reply ...

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Hey i contacted HP and they said this to me :
Here are the answers to your concerns.
The stock CPU (AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2,4 ghz) is slow because the Compaq Presario PC SR5000 only has a maximum memory of 2GB. For the detailed information, I am including a link for your perusal: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01072442&lang=en&cc=us&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=3328519
You will never have a problem with your BIOS and motherboard when it comes to upgrading your CPU if it is only one of the processor upgrades that the Motherboard supports. As such, we are unable to determine the compatibility of the processors that are not listed on the upgrade information on the link that I have provided above, as we only know about the default. Otherwise, I am afraid that the upgrade will be at your own risk.

That means that it should work , no ?

the stock cpu is what, six years old? that is why it is slow. the 2 gb of ram doesn't help but that just affects multitasking for the most part. i'm not saying 2gb of ram is fine, but that wouldn't make your cpu slow in and of itself.

going with the processor compatibility list on that page you'd have to go with an athlon 64 x2 processor. unfortunately it would have to be a socket am2 which is kind of hard to find now-a-days.

the only option for a cpu upgrade would probably be on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-AMD-Athlon-64-X-2-4400-Socket-AM2-2-30GHz-1M-Processor-AD04400IAA5DO-/161022022191

athlon 64 x2 4400 for 29.99 although the tdp for this one is listed at 65 watt, not the 64w that the hp page specifies is compatible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Athlon-64-X2-4800-Dual-Core-2-5-GHz-ADO4800IAA5DO-SOCKET-AM2-Free-Shipping-/321098603706

a 4800 for the same price and a tiny bit faster. but again 65w

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Yes but AMD Athlon64 X2 4850e should work , i mean i want to buy this one , an dit´s 45W:
LINK = http://www.pcstudio.ro/produse/171-componente-pc/181-procesoare/582-procesor-amd-athlon64-x2-4850-skam2-adh4850dobox.html

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If you're talking an Athlon 64 X2, yes.
Here is a list of the Athlon 64 X2 processors for the AM2 socket.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/TYPE-Athlon%2064%20X2.html
Use the web page to search out info pertaining to any you find for sale.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Yes , thanks , i already knew about cpu-world and their database , thank you guys !! As i said i´ll come with feedback when i´m installing the new CPU.