[SOLVED] Why a 3rd SSD isn't detected by the mobo?

barbarian0101

Reputable
Dec 5, 2018
Hi!

I've got the two M.2 slots occupied (Ultra M.2 and M.2 SSD) on my Asrock motherboard - model B450 Pro4 R2.0. Two M.2 SSD's in NVMe type (Hynix 128GB and Samsung 980 1TB).

I want to connect a third SSD drive, but a different type, because I don't have any M.2 slot available anymore. So I'm using a 2,5" drive, that is connected to a SATA port with a proper cable + the second cable from the power supply (Molex <-> SATA). Yet in the end the drive isn't detected by the system (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit), nor in BIOS (v. 5.30). I've checked each of the 6 avaialble SATA ports on the mobo, yet none worked.

The 2,5" SSD is fine, because I had connected it to another PC, and it was detected.

Oh and in BIOS when I go to "Advanced" tab there's:

• SATA port enable set to Enabled
  • SATA mode set to AHCI
  • SATA hot plug set to Disabled

- all other six SATA Port 1-4 and A1-A2 are showing "Not present" status - despite the 2,5" SSD being connected

I'd be grateful for any help.

Last edited:

barbarian0101

Reputable
Dec 5, 2018
I've tried two different Molex-SATA cables and four different SATA III-SATA III, so it must've been bad luck if they didn't work. Yet still possible :p.

Today I made a second attempt and connecting the SSD 2,5" to SATA3_2 port (according to the manual) made a positive result and the drive was visible in Windows 10, and in BIOS. Which is odd, because yesterday there was no reaction to this port.

Nonetheless thanks for all of your replies :).

TRENDING THREADS