Question why afterburner setting makes lower FPS ?

Dec 28, 2019
HI. once time i installed msi afterburner it was good for couple days but when i realized when i set program on high graphic settings it causes lower FPS so i set settings on original GPU power it has better FPS . i will appreciated if you help me .

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fps is set by the cpu. It has a limit that it can only pre-render so many frames according to game code to send to the gpu.

The gpu finish renders the frames according to detail settings and resolution.

If the cpu is strong enough it can do more fps than the gpu on low, so changing detail settings higher means the gpu cannot keep up and fps goes down.

For instance, if cpu can do 100fps in a game, that's the limit. If on low the gpu can only do 80, it'll only do 70 on medium, 60 on high, 40 at ultra

On the other hand, if the same gpu was with a weak cpu and cpu can only do 60fps, on low you get 60 from gpu, on medium you get 60, on high you get 60, but at ultra you get 40.

The NVS 310 was a mid range professional graphics card in 2012, so figure by today's standards, with any game that's relatively new, it's on the very low end weak, your cpu is relatively stronger, so raising detail levels will drop fps. The only way you can raise details and not drop fps is if you have a graphics card more capable of fps than the cpu can supply.

Dec 28, 2019
Fps is set by the cpu. It has a limit that it can only pre-render so many frames according to game code to send to the gpu.

The gpu finish renders the frames according to detail settings and resolution.

If the cpu is strong enough it can do more fps than the gpu on low, so changing detail settings higher means the gpu cannot keep up and fps goes down.

For instance, if cpu can do 100fps in a game, that's the limit. If on low the gpu can only do 80, it'll only do 70 on medium, 60 on high, 40 at ultra

On the other hand, if the same gpu was with a weak cpu and cpu can only do 60fps, on low you get 60 from gpu, on medium you get 60, on high you get 60, but at ultra you get 40.

The NVS 310 was a mid range professional graphics card in 2012, so figure by today's standards, with any game that's relatively new, it's on the very low end weak, your cpu is relatively stronger, so raising detail levels will drop fps. The only way you can raise details and not drop fps is if you have a graphics card more capable of fps than the cpu can supply.
yes you are right mate. but it was good for couple days i do not know why this happened

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
So you mean the pc decided after a few days of use at higher settings, to just suddenly slow down and be worse than stock settings?

There's multiple reasons this can happen. Either way, it's either hardware or software connected.

Hardware can be cpu temps, vram/VRM temps on the gpu (not measurable), failing vram/VRM on a 8 year old gpu, failing adhesive or failing thermal padding on the gpu heatsink. And you pushing the gpu harder reached its power limits and broke, causing throttling and a drop in fps output.

Software can most definitely be drivers, windows updates making chipset drivers act strange.

Could be that the card itself is overheating, whether or not the only sensor (in the processor itself) reports high temps or not.

Dec 28, 2019
So you mean the pc decided after a few days of use at higher settings, to just suddenly slow down and be worse than stock settings?

There's multiple reasons this can happen. Either way, it's either hardware or software connected.

Hardware can be cpu temps, vram/VRM temps on the gpu (not measurable), failing vram/VRM on a 8 year old gpu, failing adhesive or failing thermal padding on the gpu heatsink. And you pushing the gpu harder reached its power limits and broke, causing throttling and a drop in fps output.

Software can most definitely be drivers, windows updates making chipset drivers act strange.

Could be that the card itself is overheating, whether or not the only sensor (in the processor itself) reports high temps or not.
im pretty sure my graphic card does not damaged because when i set settings on normal it works fine .