Question Why all my games are stuttering and I got low 0.1% and 1% FPS?

Sep 15, 2024
Hello all, I have been gaming on my pre-built PC with a second hand MSI GTX 1660 Ti Ventus XS for over a year with no issue. Then I decided to change the thermal pads and paste of my GPU because I noticed a spike in temps.
Ever since I changed the pads and paste, I noticed unexplainable stutters suddenly emerging from every game, regardless if I play on high, medium, low or even on 720p resolution. I got a pretty standard office desk HP EliteDisplay E231 60Hz monitor; but I didn't see these stutters when I bought my PC. My CPU and GPU temperatures never pass 70c on max load. I game on HDD but I moved Arkham Knight and GTAV to my OS SSD but with no improvement. Also I always cap my FPS by RTSS to 60FPS. And for the record, I always monitor my hardware, I never noticed a sudden drop in wattage/usage/volt/clock on any of the GPU, CPU and RAM WHEN the stutters take place.

Here are pictures of Arkham Knight and GTAV captured with CapFrameX:
The Arkham Knight Comparing down below was before I turned on high priority for the .exe file on task manager.
9TM2Rub.png

My rig is following:
GPU: MSI GTX 1660 Ti Ventus XS
CPU: Ryzen 5 4500
HDD: 1TB Baracuda
SSD: 250 Zicron Sata
RAM: Kingston Fury (2x8Gb) 3200Mhz
MB: MSI B450m Pro VDH-MAX
PSU: Micronics Classic II 700w 80+ Silver

Things I have tried:
-Enabling and disabling XMP profile
-Undervolting my CPU and GPU
-Using DDU to uninstall GPU driver
-Disabling fTPM
-Disabling Windows Defender
-Disabling HPET
-Updating MB BIOS, GPU driver, CPU Chipset to the latest update
-Removing keyboard and mouse and playing with gamepad
-Removing case frontal USB off the MB (cause I read online it could help)
-Repasting GPU and CPU
-Setting the games priorities to High on task manager
-Turning on Ultimate Performance from power management
-Reinstalling Windows 10 and debloating it with Christ Titus Tool

I'm absolutely losing my mind, I thought of swapping GPU and CPU with local shops but it isn't possible. And could really use your help guys.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2024
so you think it's just a coincidence that this started directly after you manipulated the innards of the card?

this is a pretty low end unit.
even if it isn't a contributor to the issue(s) you're facing, i would replace it asap.
It wasn’t the first time I repaste my GPU, it was the second time because I swapped my thermal pads with new ones because the old ones were moisty and creating oil around the PCB. After changing the pads, the stuttering appeared, and yet at full load when the GPU temp is 70c, the hot spot temp reaches 85c or something.

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Ever since I changed the pads and paste, I noticed unexplainable stutters suddenly emerging from every game, regardless if I play on high, medium, low or even on 720p resolution. I got a pretty standard office desk HP EliteDisplay E231 60Hz monitor; but I didn't see these stutters when I bought my PC. My CPU and GPU temperatures never pass 70c on max load.
I would take the GPU apart and "REDO" since it happened after changing the pads and paste.