Why am I getting 30 Mbps download speed over my 150 Mbps USB WiFi Adapter?

Sarveshix

Commendable
May 4, 2017
The adapter is Asus N10 150 Mbps. The router and the PC (WiFi adapter) are in the same room. My broadband plan is of upto 50 Mbps. I get upto 50 Mbps download speed over my mobile via WiFi but I'm getting only upto 20-30 Mbps over the PC (WiFi USB adapter). Thanks in advance :)

Sarveshix

Commendable
May 4, 2017

How much speed did the n300 gave you?

If they are in the same room can you not just use a ethernet cable and make life simple.

You need to check your phone and see how it is connecting. Most important would be if it is connecting using 802.11ac on the 5g band which has much higher throughput.

In most cases I would say 20-30mbps is about all you can expect on even a 300mbps connection. BUT that is based on test results that test more common distances from the router. When you sit next the router it will be much faster. It is hard to say what numbers to expect few testing sites test that configuration.

Sarveshix

Commendable
May 4, 2017

The router and the PC are on the two opposite corners of the rooms so it looks pretty ugly to stretch the LAN wire that far and plus it will get in the way while walking around.