Question Why am I getting a higher ping on my Ethernet connection than my wireless connection?

Jun 25, 2019
In the past few weeks, I have been getting worse ping. On Ethernet, my ping usually rests at 50-60 ping but sometimes might go up to 100-500 ping which is obviously frustrating. A month ago, I was getting 10-30 ping consistently with ethernet. Since my connection has gotten a lot worse, I tried out wireless connection and somehow, the connection is much better. According to meter.net, a website which measures your ping, with ethernet I average from 70-140 ping from different tests, however, when I tested wireless, I received an average of 4-5 ping. In games, the wireless connection might spike up if other family members are doing something that might affect my connection. I want to use ethernet and despite resetting my network settings, flushing my DNS, trying different ethernet cables of different lengths, enabling QoS and tweaking the advances properties settings of the ethernet driver, I cannot seem to fix this issue.

When I used ethernet, I had an extender outside of my room which I used ethernet with.

Thanks.

Jun 25, 2019
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your Ethernet drivers? You might want to verify which version of the motherboard BIOS you're on prior to tinkering with your networking drivers. On another note, what OS are you on?
I have not tried uninstalling and then installing the ethernet driver. I am on Windows 10.
EDIT: Just tried uninstalling and reinstalling, did not seem to fix

Not sure what your comment on ethernet to extender means.

Does your ethernet cable go all the way to the router or does it connect to a extender and then run wifi the rest of the way. Extenders can easily cause the issues you are seeing. You are not actually running ethernet you are in effect running a crappy wifi nic connected via ethernet rather than USB.

If you are actually connected directly to the router I would try to ping the router ip. You should always get 1ms or maybe slightly more. This would mean you have no issue with the physical cable, the drivers, the router. It would have to be something strange with software.