Question Why am I getting BSOD after adding more RAM?

Apr 9, 2021
Hi everyone. So I was loading up a game before the new RAM was installed and it was running a little choppy. I went to see if I could even run the game because I had built this PC back in 2016 without replacing any of the parts. The website had suggested 16GB and said I didn't meet that spec. I remember when I built the PC I had gotten 16GB (2x8GB). So I went in to make sure that they were both installed properly in DIMM's A2 and B2 and now whenever I load up my computer it has become unstable to the point that applications crash (like games) when opening up, I get random "Aw, Snaps" when I'm running Google Chrome, or I get 2 different error messages while there's the BSOD: 'Memory Management' and 'Page Fault in Nonpaged Area'. I have changed out each stick to make sure that they are both good and they seem to run just fine by themselves.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40 GHz

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A Motherboard

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Memory: Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2133 Memory

If you need anymore info just let me know and if anyone has any idea how to fix the stability issue it would be greatly appreciated!

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following link present the User Manual for your motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-A/E10611_Z170-A_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

[Do verify that I identified the correct User Manual.]

Double check the supported RAM as shown on physically numbered Page vii of the user manual.

Note: I did not see Crucial listed for DDR4 2133 Memory (Page 1-14).

Crucial is listed under DDR4 2400 (OC) on Page 1-13.

And be sure to check the Asus website for any updated information with regards to the RAM QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Specs and details matter.

Also be sure to check your physical memory installation/slots in detail beginning in Section 1.4 on Page 1-8.

Another thing: SPD (see the note at the bottom of Page 1-9).

Apr 9, 2021
@Ralston18 I'm just a little confused why one of the 8GB would run fine even though the manual says that it isn't compatible and adding one more would cause all the instability.
I've also checked which slots they were in and the are in A2 and B2.

@Karadjgne I've done the steps and it's still pretty unstable. I'll probably just have to get new RAM at this point and make sure that it's found in my User Manual and completely compatible.

Thank you both for the help!

Hi everyone. So I was loading up a game before the new RAM was installed and it was running a little choppy. I went to see if I could even run the game because I had built this PC back in 2016 without replacing any of the parts. The website had suggested 16GB and said I didn't meet that spec. I remember when I built the PC I had gotten 16GB (2x8GB). So I went in to make sure that they were both installed properly in DIMM's A2 and B2 and now whenever I load up my computer it has become unstable to the point that applications crash (like games) when opening up, I get random "Aw, Snaps" when I'm running Google Chrome, or I get 2 different error messages while there's the BSOD: 'Memory Management' and 'Page Fault in Nonpaged Area'. I have changed out each stick to make sure that they are both good and they seem to run just fine by themselves.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40 GHz

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A Motherboard

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Memory: Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2133 Memory

If you need anymore info just let me know and if anyone has any idea how to fix the stability issue it would be greatly appreciated!
Go to task manager/performance/memory.
What speed does it show the ram is running?

TRENDING THREADS