Mar 5, 2021
My rig:
Dell OptiPlex 9020 SFF
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC Low profile
Driver Version 461.72
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @3.40 Ghz
7.94 GB Ram (2 X 4gb DDr3) (1600 MHz X 2)
1280 X 1024 60Hz
255 V PSU

Dear everyone, I purchased GTX 1050 Ti OC Low profile and it worked 3 days perfectly and it was very satisfying to me. In fourth day, all my games including very old games gets a lag spikes every 5-10 sec. AVG fps is 70 FPS but the lag spike driver FPS to lower than 10 FPS for millisecond. My GPU at first days was running almost all time on 99% but now GPU usage fluctuates a lot sometimes it goes under 60 % for a second during very gaming causing a lag spike then go again above 90 % and it repeats that consistently. CPU and GPU temp are very ideal so no thermal throttling.

All games are unplayable now since they are not stable due to frequent lag spikes every 5-10 sec and I am very sad about that after I was satisfied that I can game at high performance. Now any ideas more than I did below ?

• Reinstalled graphics driver
  • played on SSD
  • Defragged all drives
  • Reinstalled windows 10
  • Optimized games with Nvidia GeForce

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to understand that the limited wattage on the PSU is one thing that might kill your GPU or the entire computer slowly. Please don't defrag your drives, unless you want to kill your storage devices as well.

If the OptiPlex did not come with a discrete GPU, please remove the GPU from your build and leave it be. The OptiPlex you've got does not come with a higher spec'd wattage PSU nor is an aftermarket PSU available for the prebuilt. Please read through this.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
So the Optiplex has a 255 Watt power supply:
Solved: Optiplex 9020 SFF PSU (Power Supply Unit) Up-grade ? - Dell Community

The card you're using needs 75 Watts. It might be ok. When you updated / installed new drivers some settings might have been lost. See if you can turn off or change some things like turning off vertical sync?

If you lower the detail to CRAZY LOW do the spikes go away?

Antony

ps, is there a chance something else is hogging the network / CPU / IO during the game? Can

Mar 5, 2021
My Optiplex came originally with discrete GPU and it was working fine all time. For the power supply, that’s why I chose the low profile version of 1050 Ti OC, manufacturing said this card does not need extra power supply. In addition too, many people have same exact specs as me and the cards works fine with them. CPU usage is consistent and it is running all time at 3.7 GHz. By monitoring stats, I cannot see anything unusual except for gpu usage fluctuates during heavy gaming causing lag spikes. By the way, I only updated drivers after the problem happened and I am still having a copy of old drivers on a CD. That’s very frustrating, because I really can’t put my hand on the real problem. Nothing bottlenecking but lag spikes happen with GPU usage inconsistency. I actually took the power supply out of the case so I can fit my new GPU in the PCIE x16 slot. Any ideas guys, it was just working fine, but I don’t understand what happened. Is it maybe GPU defective?

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
My Optiplex came originally with discrete GPU and it was working fine all time. For the power supply, that’s why I chose the low profile version of 1050 Ti OC, manufacturing said this card does not need extra power supply. In addition too, many people have same exact specs as me and the cards works fine with them. CPU usage is consistent and it is running all time at 3.7 GHz. By monitoring stats, I cannot see anything unusual except for gpu usage fluctuates during heavy gaming causing lag spikes. By the way, I only updated drivers after the problem happened and I am still having a copy of old drivers on a CD. That’s very frustrating, because I really can’t put my hand on the real problem. Nothing bottlenecking but lag spikes happen with GPU usage inconsistency. I actually took the power supply out of the case so I can fit my new GPU in the PCIE x16 slot. Any ideas guys, it was just working fine, but I don’t understand what happened. Is it maybe GPU defective?
So I think that your gpu does not require to be plugged into your power supply rather being able to pull power through the pcie slot. This means its a fairly low power model, but it will still at least need some power. what was the middle of the original gpu in your rig?

Mar 5, 2021
My original GPU was AMD Radeon HD 8570 DDR3 (OEM) 50 Watt usage I think. but that's what most OptiPlex 9020 SFF users upgraded their built and they said 1050 ti low profile GPU working great with original 255v power supply. The fact that it worked first 3 days fine with no problems make me think that maybe something wrong with the new GPU or what do you guys think

Mar 5, 2021
So the Optiplex has a 255 Watt power supply:
Solved: Optiplex 9020 SFF PSU (Power Supply Unit) Up-grade ? - Dell Community

The card you're using needs 75 Watts. It might be ok. When you updated / installed new drivers some settings might have been lost. See if you can turn off or change some things like turning off vertical sync?

If you lower the detail to CRAZY LOW do the spikes go away?

Antony

ps, is there a chance something else is hogging the network / CPU / IO during the game? Can
I looked into stats ingame, but CPU running around 55-60% and ram like 6900 out of 8 Gb. I turned off Vsync but GPU usage still fluctuates. Also GPU and CPU temp around 65-75 % while on heavy load and I am playing offline on GTA V. The moment I realize lag spike, I see that GPU usage drop from 98% to 50 or 60 %

Mar 5, 2021
One thing I noticed that my Ram is always 7300 Mb and above. Sometimes goes to 7850 Mb out of 8 GB. I just ordered one more 4gb ram and it is now a patience game. Do you guys think that will work?

Mar 5, 2021
My rig:
Dell OptiPlex 9020 SFF
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC Low profile (does not require extra power supply "manufacture saying" )
Driver Version 461.72
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @3.40 Ghz
7.94 GB Ram (2 X 4gb DDr3) (1600 MHz X 2)
1280 X 1024 60Hz
255 V PSU

Dear everyone, I purchased GTX 1050 Ti OC Low profile and it worked the first 3 days perfectly and it was very satisfying to me. In fourth day, all my games including very old games gets a lag spikes every 5-10 sec. AVG fps is 70 FPS but the lag spike cause FPS to lower than 10 FPS for a millisecond. By monitoring GPU usage, I see frequent usage drop in the GPU. For example, the GPU running at 95% then suddenly drops to 50% and I see a millisecond lag spike.
I have been a week in this issue now, and I am started to get tired from trying solutions with no succession and I am thinking of returning graphics card which I don't want to do. I am pretty sure it is not a power supply problem. I benchmarked my pc, and GPU stays at 99% for a long time without any problems, but in games GPU usage do not stay at 99% even in very demanding game and fluctuates a lot and make sudden drops in usage. I added a photo from MSI Afterburner monitoring stat while running a very non-demanding game from 2011 that showing FPS lag spikes in graph. Please try to help me because of now, I am really feeling bad

MSI Afterburner Stats
https://ibb.co/hDKM4LX
The 0.1 % low goes down to 5 FPS in all games, even if you playing super Mario for example. after running game by 1-5 sec

Things I tried:
  • Reinstalled graphics driver using DDU
  • played on SSD
  • Reinstalled windows 10
  • Optimized games with Nvidia GeForce
  • Edited power plan in Nvidia control panel and windows 10 power plan to maximum performance
  • Rolled back graphics card driver
  • There is no unparked CPU

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS