Question Why am i getting low fps with a gtx 1060 6gb and fx 8320 3.5 ghz 8 core

May 11, 2020
Ive been getting for a long time low performance on games and now that im playing gta v im getting only 30-40 fps with normal settings and its driving me nuts.

My set up is:
DDR3 16gb Ram
Nvidia Gtx 1060 6gb
Amd Fx-8320 8 core
Msi 970A-G43
WD SSD 500Gb

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
The CPU probably isn't able to push more. Check the CPU usage while playing the game, it's probably at or near 100% all the time while the graphic card isn't.

More generally, the FX-8320 just isn't powerful enough to drive a GTX1060 to its full potential in most games.

FX cores are slow and that is likely your limiting factor.

Be careful how you interpret task manager cpu utilisations.
Windows will spread the activity of a single thread over all available threads.
So, if you had a game that was single threaded and cpu bound, it would show up on a quad core processor as 25%
utilization across all 4 threads.
leading you to think your bottleneck was elsewhere.
It turns our that few games can USEFULLY use more than 2-3 threads.
How can you tell how well threaded your games or apps are?
One way is to disable one thread and see how you do.

You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of processors to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, it tells you that you will not benefit from more cores.
Likely, a better clock rate will be more important.

What are you using to monitor temps?

Generally, most software cannot correctly monitor FX temperatures. AMD Overdrive is usually the most accurate, however, it measures using a "thermal margin" or the number of degrees till throttling rather than providing an actual temperature.

May 11, 2020
What are you using to monitor temps?

Generally, most software cannot correctly monitor FX temperatures. AMD Overdrive is usually the most accurate, however, it measures using a "thermal margin" or the number of degrees till throttling rather than providing an actual temperature.
Im using msi Afterburner and another one called Core Temp and they give me same results

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The game code is pre-rendered by the cpu. It's configure every frame it can in 1 second, that's the fps limit. That's vastly different to usage, which is the amount of resources like bandwidth, Lcache, cores etc it needs to use in order to get every frame pre-rendered. The amount of possible frames is determined by the game code, the cpu IPC (instructions per clock cycle) and the speed of the cpu in MHz.

The gpu finish renders the frames and sticks them onscreen, according to details and resolution. The lower the details, the more frames it can finish. Sometimes this is more, sometimes it's less than what the cpu can supply.

The FX series at best had an IPC of 67% that of 3rd Gen Intel. So if an i5 at 3.4GHz could get 100fps, FX at 3.4GHz would be lucky to get 67fps. The only way to increase that is by bumping up the speed of the cpu and getting more instructions carried out in a second. Usage has little to no bearing unless it's hitting 100%, at which point there's no resource room and the cpu is forced to wait for available room to continue. 10% usage or 90% usage is the same thing, both within the boundaries of being able to supply the cpu with what it needs.

If you want higher fps, you'll need a higher OC. If you've reached the limits of comfortable OC, you'll need a cpu with higher IPC, which means a newer platform. First gen Ryzen had more than 40% IPC increase over the best FX, 3rd gen is somewhat higher still. 9th gen Intel being over 100% higher IPC than an FX.

Last edited:
Reactions: 86zx
May 11, 2020
The game code is pre-rendered by the cpu. It's configure every frame it can in 1 second, that's the fps limit. That's vastly different to usage, which is the amount of resources like bandwidth, Lcache, cores etc it needs to use in order to get every frame pre-rendered. The amount of possible frames is determined by the game code, the cpu IPC (instructions per clock cycle) and the speed of the cpu in MHz.

The gpu finish renders the frames and sticks them onscreen, according to details and resolution. The lower the details, the more frames it can finish. Sometimes this is more, sometimes it's less than what the cpu can supply.

The FX series at best had an IPC of 67% that of 3rd Gen Intel. So if an i5 at 3.4GHz could get 100fps, FX at 3.4GHz would be lucky to get 67fps. The only way to increase that is by bumping up the speed of the cpu and getting more instructions carried out in a second. Usage has little to no bearing unless it's hitting 100%, at which point there's no resource room and the cpu is forced to wait for available room to continue. 10% usage or 90% usage is the same thing, both within the boundaries of being able to supply the cpu with what it needs.

If you want higher fps, you'll need a higher OC. If you've reached the limits of comfortable OC, you'll need a cpu with higher IPC, which means a newer platform.
But ive seen People with same set up without OC (Fx 8320-gtx 1060) with a much higher fps rate than me and it makes me question if the problem is my set up or any configuration i got set wrong.
If i have to change CPU what kind of CPU would yall recommend me to get? It should be a CPU and Motherboard that would work well with gtx 1060 and next generations

May 11, 2020
Which fps? The fps limit of the cpu, or the fps onscreen. There's other factors at work, things like Xbox DVR and game helper, DSR, GeForce Experience optimizations, motherboard chipset drivers etc.
The FPS i get while playing Games. Hell i even get less than 30 fps while playing Minecraft

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Is it only games? Or is other programming affected. Hdd or ssd, when was the last Defrag, have you run ccleaner and malwarebytes recently. Have you verified the last available motherboard chipset drivers as well as gpu drivers. Does rolling back the gpu to a prior driver change things.

May 11, 2020
Is it only games? Or is other programming affected. Hdd or ssd, when was the last Defrag, have you run ccleaner and malwarebytes recently. Have you verified the last available motherboard chipset drivers as well as gpu drivers. Does rolling back the gpu to a prior driver change things.
Ive changed from HDD to SSD a week ago and ive been getting problems with the bios since then. I dont know if it could be related to the low fps since i had same performance long before i changed from HDD to SSD.
My problem with Bios is that it gets reset to default settings everytime i reset my PC and it gets me to a screen where it tells me to press F1 if i want to get in Bios and F2 if i want to continue.
If i press F2 it gets me in an endless loop and never boots into Windows so what i do is press F1 and go to the boot override section where i press UEFI OS and gets me to my Windows.
I tried changing the battery of the motherboard and still nothing so i just do that procedure to boot Windows and play normally since i was a hole day trying to fix that problem without success and i kind of gave up.
But as i said i dont think this has anything to do with the low fps but i could be wrong.