Nov 23, 2020
Ive been playing destiny 2 lately and been dropping down into the 30's fps during intensive moments. Im averaging roughly 45 fps on low settings and i feel like i should be getting more. Ive ran stress tests on OCCT and msi kombustor and no issues found. cpu temps are staying below 80c and gpu temps are staying around 75c under load tests. All drivers are up to date.

I dont know if im temp throttling or bottlenecking. If there is a windows setting that is giving me issues or a bad component.

Am i getting what i should be or is something wrong.

specs:
Windows 10
Intel Core i7-5820K
Asus x99-A Motherboard
Geforece RTX 2070 Super
HyperX Fury 16GB 2666MHz DDR4
Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W psu
Dual Alienware 27 Gaming Monitor - AW2720HF 240 hz

Solution
On paper your specs are more then enough to run destiny 2
but i suspect one of the many graphical options is the culprit, field of view can tank your fps as does foilage settings

as a test, i would try to play it on a low graphical preset and see if it helps
Nov 22, 2020
Cpu is bottlnecking the whole bottle. Upgrae your cpu for god's sake. Go with red team (AMD) for price to performance or Intel if you have money to blow off.
Switching to any newer cpu requires a new motherboard since the cpu is 7 years old. I am surprised you could even run a game.

Cpu is bottlnecking the whole bottle. Upgrae your cpu for god's sake. Go with red team (AMD) for price to performance or Intel if you have money to blow off.
Switching to any newer cpu requires a new motherboard since the cpu is 7 years old. I am surprised you could even run a game.
My friend

this is not good advice, op's CPU is more then enough to run destiny
and is still a reasonable CPU

@murdoboy78

do you have the issue outside of destiny?
has it ever played as it should?
did you change any settings?

Nov 23, 2020
My friend

@murdoboy78

The only issue i can think of is when im playing a game and watching youtube on my other monitor, my video is clearly stuttering. I did get a BSOD like 4 months ago, took it to a shop and they said it was a bad ram stick. I had 32 gb in originally but they took two out. Since then its just been causally gaming like league of legends and hearthstone. no issues with those besides mentioned video stuttering. It led me to believe it was ram a couple weeks ago, bought two new sticks with no improvement. Tried them in each channel.

On paper your specs are more then enough to run destiny 2
but i suspect one of the many graphical options is the culprit, field of view can tank your fps as does foilage settings

as a test, i would try to play it on a low graphical preset and see if it helps

Solution

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
My friend

@murdoboy78

has it ever played as it should?
did you change any settings?

He's not totally wrong though. At 1080p the 5820k would be bottlenecking a 2070-s quite hard. Though likely not to the extent where it's the sole cause of his poor performance issue.

@op- Your setup should be returning a 90-100fps average at 1080p on ULTRA settings. I'm thinking you have some software issues, missing/bad drivers or performance profiles.

He's not totally wrong though. At 1080p the 5820k would be bottlenecking a 2070-s quite hard. Though likely not to the extent where it's the sole cause of his poor performance issue.

@op- Your setup should be returning a 90-100fps average at 1080p on ULTRA settings. I'm thinking you have some software issues, missing/bad drivers or performance profiles.
Yep, but as you said it's not the source of op's issue

Nov 23, 2020
ok so after hours of research, apparently when i built the PC, i had my gpu in the middle slot instead of my top spot on my MB. I had no idea this could cause a performance drop. I logged back into the game and instantly had 90-120 fps consistent. idk how this wasnt caught by the shop when they had it. I thought this might have been the cause of the BSOD with my ram so i tried again with the 4 sticks and same issue. But as far as the post for the low FPS. That solved it for me.

Reactions: Quanticriver
ok so after hours of research, apparently when i built the PC, i had my gpu in the middle slot instead of my top spot on my MB. I had no idea this could cause a performance drop. I logged back into the game and instantly had 90-120 fps consistent. idk how this wasnt caught by the shop when they had it. I thought this might have been the cause of the BSOD with my ram so i tried again with the 4 sticks and same issue. But as far as the post for the low FPS. That solved it for me.
That's great news, thanks for posting your findings, kudos!