[SOLVED] Why am I getting ping spikes when my internet speeds are fine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetpack45

Reputable
Mar 3, 2018
I have 60 down/5 up from Charter spectrum and I just moved into a new apartment with this internet. The internet speeds when I run a speed test are fine but when I play games, my ping tends to spike a lot. I live in an apartment with 1 other person and I AM connected to ethernet, yet I am still consistently experiencing ping spikes. Any ideas?

Solution
That means absolutely nothing. All it means is you do not have software running on your router to prevent bufferbloat. BUT you do not need software because bufferbloat only occurs when you are using 100% of your bandwidth. That testing tool will overload any connection and will show bufferbloat on any connection not running the software.

A lot of this is old information when a lot of people had dsl connections that were under say 25mbps. Kinda why this test tool is on a DSL site.

A overloaded connection can cause a ping spike but it can be caused by many other things.

You are going to have to spend the time to learn how ping and tracert commands work otherwise you are going to spend lots of time trying to fix the wrong...

jetpack45

Reputable
Mar 3, 2018
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

What games do you play?

Make and model modem, router, or modem/router if combined)?
Well, I had this PC at my old house a few days ago and I didn't have ping spikes. It's just happening now that I moved. I play VALORANT but it happens in everything, not just in the game. We have a separate modem / router. The router is a LINKSYS EA7250 and the modem is a SURFboard SB6121.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you familiar with the "ping", "tracert", and "pathping" commands?

Objective being to learn more about where the spikes/issues may be occurring.

FYI:

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/difference-between-ping-and-traceroute/

https://www.omnisecu.com/tcpip/difference-between-ping-traceroute-tracert-and-pathping.php

You can easily find other similar links and tutorials.

Just try the commands to get a sense of the results. Then run again and post a couple of the results that are the most representative overall.

You can also use Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Look for what all happens when the spikes occur.

jetpack45

Reputable
Mar 3, 2018

FYI:

https://www.omnisecu.com/tcpip/difference-between-ping-traceroute-tracert-and-pathping.php

Just try the commands to get a sense of the results. Then run again and post a couple of the results that are the most representative overall.

You can also use Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Look for what all happens when the spikes occur.
I'll try to figure it out and get back to you.

jetpack45

Reputable
Mar 3, 2018

FYI:

I got a new router (
ASUS AX5400 ) and am still getting the same issues. I couldn't figure out how to use those commands properly, but I did do a bufferbloat test and got F tier on the website (http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest). Not sure what to do from here.

That means absolutely nothing. All it means is you do not have software running on your router to prevent bufferbloat. BUT you do not need software because bufferbloat only occurs when you are using 100% of your bandwidth. That testing tool will overload any connection and will show bufferbloat on any connection not running the software.

A lot of this is old information when a lot of people had dsl connections that were under say 25mbps. Kinda why this test tool is on a DSL site.

A overloaded connection can cause a ping spike but it can be caused by many other things.

You are going to have to spend the time to learn how ping and tracert commands work otherwise you are going to spend lots of time trying to fix the wrong thing. I mean you already are sidetracked thinking it is bufferbloat. What if you went to all the time and money to replace your router with one that can fix bufferbloat and you have the same problems.

Note your very first test is to verify that you actually are getting ping spikes. You need to use a actual ping command to test. Many games will blame internal programing delays on the network where there actually is not network issue.

Reactions: Ralston18
Solution

jetpack45

Reputable
Mar 3, 2018

You are going to have to spend the time to learn how ping and tracert commands work otherwise you are going to spend lots of time trying to fix the wrong thing. I mean you already are sidetracked thinking it is bufferbloat. What if you went to all the time and money to replace your router with one that can fix bufferbloat and you have the same problems.

Note your very first test is to verify that you actually are getting ping spikes. You need to use a actual ping command to test. Many games will blame internal programing delays on the network where there actually is not network issue.
I'll figure out how to use the commands. I was just curious because I get ping spikes even when my bandwidth isn't at 100%.

That is why you need to figure out where the spike is happening. Overloading your internet is only 1 of the many things that can cause it.

It can also be the game itself telling you lies. It could get stuck doing something intensive and then blame that delay on the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS