[SOLVED] Why am I getting random BSOD's ?

Apr 13, 2021
I am currently using a Legion Y540 with 16GB RAM, i5-9300H and a GTX 1650. Of late there have been lot of infrequent or random BSOD's, I clean installed Windows , tried reinstalling and have also run hardware scans on all components. I even had the motherboard replaced as it got bricked due to an improper BIOS update. Also there are various errors while playing games but all the tests seem fine and hint at a DirectX error, reinstalling that and running system verification doesn't seem to help either :/

I have attached the minidumps below:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AodvZ5x8S8ojkEqnRtQyeV571jVH?e=ksY9uc

Any solutions are welcome, thank you.

Solution
direct X errors would normally mean GPU drivers
try running ddu in safe mode and reinstall drivers. although if its a laptop, i except its only the nvidia drivers, and not intel

I have asked a friend to convert dumps already

Memtest - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Colif

Win 11 Master
direct X errors would normally mean GPU drivers
try running ddu in safe mode and reinstall drivers. although if its a laptop, i except its only the nvidia drivers, and not intel

I have asked a friend to convert dumps already

Memtest - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Solution

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/jzbyatwu/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:041121-15140-01.dmp (Apr 10 2021 - 17:12:43)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 18 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

File information:040721-16671-01.dmp (Apr 7 2021 - 05:05:16)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: OneApp.IGCC.WinService.e)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 23 Min(s), and 11 Sec(s)

File information:040721-15125-01.dmp (Apr 6 2021 - 16:39:52)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: expressvpnd.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 10 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)
BIOS info was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Victim of 1st crash is Windows Desktop Manager
victim of 2nd crash is part of intel graphics control centre, i was curious what it was
2 obvious BSOD caused by GPU drivers

try updating Intel GPU drivers, It appears I was wrong about it being Nvidia

vanguard, we meet again. It could be cause as it thinks any PC you put it on is owned by it. I had hoped Valorant was just a fad last year, I see its back again.

Victim of number 3 was Express VPN so I could guess Internet drivers.

do you use WIFI or ethernet?
Your Wi-Fi drivers are from 2021 but you Ethernet are 2019, so if you use a cable, grab the 1st link under windows - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Apr 13, 2021
Oh wow, so all three crashes had three different sources? The Intel GPU drivers were outdated because I was relying on the customized one provided by Lenovo, I'll update that. I'll try uninstalling Valorant as well and see if that solves it.
Would the Ethernet drivers affect me here? I always rely on WiFi, but the VPN is running almost all the time so shouldn't that have triggered a BSOD earlier?
Thank you for the analysis!

Colif

Win 11 Master
no, ethernet won't be used if you use WIFI, I just have to confirm as you never know.

check if there is a new version of VPN software as something set it off. I would be surprised if it was gpu drivers
I don't know what is happening in the dump text, it could be network related. most of the files running aren't specific enough for me to say "this is happening when it crashed", it was making actions on a file. But I can't say what.

I wonder what bios version you are on.

Apr 13, 2021
The VPN was indeed outdated, the version I was running was almost 2 months old. I have updated to the latest Intel HD drivers for now. My current BIOS version is BHCN41WW, and no major issues have been associated with it.
Should I switch to another type of dump? I haven't had any BSOD's for a while though.