Question Why am i getting shocked when touching different parts of peripherals/case?

Nov 14, 2021
3
0
10
0
Hi guys.
For some time,when i had my controller pluged in,if i touch his battery charging space(the battery charging dock) its shocking me,if i have my phone charging to the pc,when i touch the fingerprint space it shocks me,my headset have a mic that is elastic,it has like plastic but its somehow metallic,and when i touch it do move the mic awat,it shocks,and when i touch the case back fan it shocks me.
Is there anything i can do?
 

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You aren't suffering from house electrical shocks, those you'd know in a heartbeat, they can be painful. What you are suffering from is static electric discharge, which builds up on Any surface, can be wood, plastic, nylon, metals, etc. Some surfaces are more prone to static, especially nylons and rayons like what's used in carpets and plastics.

Static discharge is a difference in built up charges. You build charges inherently just moving, but also naturally dissipate much of that charge through contact with other surfaces, such as the floor. Your controller etc also builds up a charge, but might not be able to dissipate its charge because of rubber feet or other isolators protecting it. Then you touch it, and the charge balances itself, you get shocked.

Dry air from heating the house adds to static buildup. As does sweaters, coats, other heavy fabrics etc. Having a good household ground is important, most all concrete slabbed houses will have a ReBar ground just for that reason. I'd check not only the ground path of your electric outlets, but also whether the house has sufficient ground capacity.

If you and the equipment have approximately the same charge buildup, there's little to balance, you don't get shocked.
 
Nov 14, 2021
3
0
10
0
So as reply,when i turn the pc on and off nothing happens,and about the outlets ,i need to ask my dad about that,.When i have the pc off,nothing shocks.(one mention,my wall socket is on the other side of the room than my pc,and because my power cord cable is short,i use another one to power it up))
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS