[SOLVED] Why am i getting this low amount of fps?

May 28, 2021
MSI RTX 2070
i5-7400
MSI B250 Motherboard
Hyperx Fury 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz Memory 2x8
Samsung 960 Evo SSD
XMP is On. PC is secondhand. Drivers updated via Geforce Experience

I have noticed that my cpu is at 100% most of the time while my gpu is at 40%.
Im geussing my cpu is bottlenecking my gpu because of this but that doesn't explain what is happening while playing some games.
While playing most games when I have anything else open my game and discord start lagging. So I try to have as little open while play games.
In Rainbow Six Siege I get decent fps but not as high as i'd expect with my hardware. Because of this I need to lower my graphics a bit which is ok.
In Modern Warfare (2019) however it won't even give me 60 fps most of the time. To be able to even play it I have my graphics on the bare minimum and am playing on 720p.
I looked up stuff but couldn't find any real solution. Weird too that it used to give me playable fps a couple months ago.
Looking up a few videos of people playing MW with a i5 7400 and a worse gpu than I have they get way more fps than I get, even 60 fps on MAX settings.
Am I doing something wrong? Is there some setting I missed, is my hardware just bad?

Solution
Power supply?

If decreasing graphics settings doesn't improve performance, then it is your CPU that is the problem which is indicated by the 100% CPU usage.

Check for overheating first.

RTX 2070 is a good thing to have. Replacing the CPU/Motherboard is pretty straight forward if you want to go down that route. Could drop in a i7-7700 for a decent boost in performance, but it makes more sense to get something like an i5-10400 or i5-11400. Go from a quad core to six cores with hyperthreading (12 threads) That would help in a lot of modern games.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Power supply?

If decreasing graphics settings doesn't improve performance, then it is your CPU that is the problem which is indicated by the 100% CPU usage.

Check for overheating first.

RTX 2070 is a good thing to have. Replacing the CPU/Motherboard is pretty straight forward if you want to go down that route. Could drop in a i7-7700 for a decent boost in performance, but it makes more sense to get something like an i5-10400 or i5-11400. Go from a quad core to six cores with hyperthreading (12 threads) That would help in a lot of modern games.

Solution