[SOLVED] Why am I going through wireless routers?

mikeb33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2002
Last night my Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 stopped working through the wired ports, wireless kept going. It was bout 14 months old. Before that a Netgear Nighthawk X4S AC2600 that went 3 months. Before that I don't recall but more of the same. Can you "wear out" a router? I have a TRENDnet 24-Port switch connected.
I have 3 PCs wired and see heavy use for gaming and etc. Also a Tivo and Tivo "minis" hardwired. Wireless has 4 phones 2 tablets, 2 laptops, 3 nest cameras, and a couple smart tvs.
So this is heavy use, but what can I do? The Nighthawk X10 cost $400. Are there better "heavy duty" ones? Most reviews don't address long term. I now have a spare router, which I used last night.

Solution
Okay.

If the WRT1200ac goes "belly up" with respect to wired connectivity then try/get another switch.

Premise being that the switch is the only constant factor.

Ralston18

Titan
Wired connectivity is lost on any given router and never comes back - is that a correct understanding?

Are the router(s) in a location that allows ample air flows for cooling?

Or sitting in an area exposed to direct sun, hot air from vents, moisture (humidity)?

I would look at the outlet/electrical circuit providing power to the routers.

Is the router on the same electrical circuit as the switch?

Those potential problem sources would likely affect both wired and wireless...

As would some IP address misconfiguration.

Have you tried swapping out ethernet cables with known working substitutes?

Look in the router's logs if available and enabled. The logs may be capturing some errors or warnings when wired connectivity is lost. Maybe a duplicate IP address.

Are you able to provide a simple network diagram showing the network and connected devices including IP addresses (DHCP and Static), subnet mask, and MACs?

Download and install "Advanced IP Scanner" (Free) to get a easily understood view of your network.

See if all is as you expect or require.

Worst /most bizarre case would be some wired problem with a voltage problem that eventually does in the router. Maybe not a continuous issue so the router survival rates vary. That is very much a stretch. I would expect that other devices would likely be exposed and fail.

Key common factor though is that 24 port switch. Which model do you have? Unmanaged?

mikeb33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2002
Thanks for the response and I'll try to answer some questions.
I can't say that all failures were with wired connections only, just that way yesterday and previously they failed in some manner.
The router is on top of my A/V cabinet and doesn't seem to get warm. Not in direct sunlight either.
It is plugged into a UPS same as my Tivo and Yamaha receiver.
The switch is unmanaged and in the basement directly below the TV area and plugged into a UPS with the cable modem.

I did a little more looking apparently the Nighthawk X10 router that failed last night is know for loosing the wired connection function. Some people have to reboot weekly to get wired devices to work. Mine stopped altogether.

I currently using my daughters old router, a Lynksys WRT1200ac. A mid level model that doesn't boast about being high performance or a gaming or streaming model. I guess I'll see how long that one goes.