[SOLVED] Why am I losing internet connection when I connect a second monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renwar

Prominent
Jun 29, 2019
So I have been using 1 monitor for the last year everything’s been fine. However I have recently added an extra 4k monitor. So now I have a 2 monitor set up. Suddenly after a few seconds of turning my new set up my internet stopped working. After trying to trouble shoot I couldn’t figure out why. So I thought it could be the second monitor. Since everything was working fine beforehand. Then boom like magic my internet worked again. As soon as I connected the 4k monitor again I lost that connection. I tested the 4k monitor by itself and still no connection. I am at a loss for words. Why does my new monitor block me from connection to the internet?? I am using a Ethernet cable.

4. My PC specs are. Intel i7 9700k. GTX 1080TI. EVGA 650W GOLD (PSU). Windows 10 OS. Asus Prime z390 (Motherboard)

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions

1. The ethernet cable is located on the mother board which is high up on my tower. It is not close to the hdmi.

2. The monitors are connected to my GPU. 1 monitor is using HDMI port. The 4k is using a DP.

3. Physical connections to my motherboards are just my PC and a TV downstairs.

4. My PC specs are. Intel i7 9700k. GTX 1080TI. EVGA 650W GOLD (PSU). Windows 10 OS. Asus Prime z390 (Motherboard)

Also I am using something called a "TP link" it is essentially a ethernet cable extender. With my router being downstairs and my PC being in my room. Ineed it for a wired connection. But here is a link of the one I am using...

Ralston18

Titan
How close to the computer's LAN port is the 2nd monitor's port?

What/which video port(s) are you using; GPU, motherboard?

Is your ethernet cable plugged directly into the router? What other devices, if any, are physically plugged into the router?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs including PSU and OS.

Make and model monitors?

Overall, my thought is the second monitor's video connection is causing a short with respect to the ethernet cable's plug.

Take a close look at the physical connections. The ports and the cable plugs. Both video and ethernet.

Look for signs of damage - a cable where conductor is touching the I/O plate.

Swap monitors 1 and 2 to determine if the problem continues. Try the "extra 4K" monitor as primary just by itself. Determine if the problem continues.

If not, connect the original monitor as the 2nd monitor. Again determine if internet/LAN connectivity is lost.

Renwar

Prominent
Jun 29, 2019

1. The ethernet cable is located on the mother board which is high up on my tower. It is not close to the hdmi.

2. The monitors are connected to my GPU. 1 monitor is using HDMI port. The 4k is using a DP.

Also I am using something called a "TP link" it is essentially a ethernet cable extender. With my router being downstairs and my PC being in my room. Ineed it for a wired connection. But here is a link of the one I am using https://cpc.farnell.com/tp-link/tl-...vMZi_mge7DIEdj2sC4KzVsmCGLdB86JsaAhDYEALw_wcB

I don't see any damage to cabling. I have tried different ethernet cables and display cables. From my own troubleshooting I have found out. I only lose access to internet when connecting to the 4k monitor. Wifi works however. I have a feeling the problem lies between the "TP Link" that I am using. However it works completley fine on my 1080p acer monitor.

kanewolf

Titan

Also I am using something called a "TP link" it is essentially a ethernet cable extender. With my router being downstairs and my PC being in my room. Ineed it for a wired connection. But here is a link of the one I am using https://cpc.farnell.com/tp-link/tl-...vMZi_mge7DIEdj2sC4KzVsmCGLdB86JsaAhDYEALw_wcB

I don't see any damage to cabling. I have tried different ethernet cables and display cables. From my own troubleshooting I have found out. I only lose access to internet when connecting to the 4k monitor. Wifi works however. I have a feeling the problem lies between the "TP Link" that I am using. However it works completley fine on my 1080p acer monitor.
Your powerline network adapter is the problem. Your new monitor is generating noise on the AC wiring. That is interfering with your powerline network adapters.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS