Question Why am I receiving massive FPS drops in games?

Jul 22, 2019
Recently, I got an AMD RX 570 and while the performance and graphics are better, I’m experiencing more FPS drops than I expected. I’ve tried changing many settings in games and with windows 10 but it doesn’t help. Could it be hardware? Here are my specs

AMD FX 8350 eight core processor (with a cool master fan),
AMD RX 570 GPU,
8GB DDR4 RAM,
M5A 78 L-M LX plus motherboard,
430 watt power supply.

Possible hardware related issues (can't quite tell as not enough information is in your posting)

If you only have 1 ram stick, the lack of dual channel mode can affect memory throughput

The 8350 /570 combo on a 430W power supply is pretty marginal, even on an excellent quality power supply.

Cooling airflow to the VRMS?

This doesnt get into software issues, which can be quite numerous

What all PC games are you trying to play ? List the names. Also, are you playing in 1080p resolution ? Have you monitored the GPU and CPU temp values while Gaming ? Does the GPU boost it's core and memory clocks properly when gaming ?

Get a dual channel RAM kit as well, if need be. Massive FPS drops as in which sense, sudden drop to 10-20s when using a 60 Hz screen ? Is VSYNC enabled or disabled ? What about Enhanced Sync ?

430 watt power supply.

Which MODEL and brand is it ? You are on the borderline of power consumption, based on your current PC specs.

amzounslideslide

Reputable
Jul 23, 2019
You can try turning off the adaptive power settings in the Nvidia control panel. Also you may want to look at your cpu usage while playing a game and see if the cpu usage spikes with framerate drops. And lastly see if your games are using all of your video memory. If nothing is figured out why, Doing a fresh install of windows will rule out all software/driver possiblity of conflicts causing your problem.

Jul 22, 2019
What all PC games are you trying to play ? List the names. Also, are you playing in 1080p resolution ? Have you monitored the GPU and CPU temp values while Gaming ? Does the GPU boost it's core and memory clocks properly when gaming ?

Get a dual channel RAM kit as well, if need be. Massive FPS drops as in which sense, sudden drop to 10-20s when using a 60 Hz screen ? Is VSYNC enabled or disabled ? What about Enhanced Sync ?

Which MODEL and brand is it ? You are on the borderline of power consumption, based on your current PC specs.
I am playing games like PUBG, Farcry 4, Rainbow Six Siege. Yes they are 1080p, I’ve monitored CPU temps, it sits at about 30C when not gaming and reaches about 50-55C while gaming on decent settings. My cpu usage is decently high during games (between 60-70% and sometimes drops randomly), the GPU usage hits 100% a decent amount of the time. Vsync in games is disabled. Idk about enhanced sync. The PSU is Corsair, I’ve thought about getting a new one but not sure if it’ll help performance at all