Why am I redirected to forums when commenting on an item?

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Hi there,

FRequently, when commenting on an article I am able to add my comment using the field within the news page just like I have always done. Frequently, however, as soon as I begin typing in the field I am taken to a new page within the forums to comment on the article. I don't understand why, and I would like to control which editor I use. What's going on?

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Hey there!

Looked into this. It seems to be a problem affecting our news articles. From my tests, it seems that trying to add a comment brings you to a login prompt, which leads to the forum thread for the article. Can you confirm for me that this is what's happening for you? (Note: this happens on News articles, but not Review articles)

Anyway, we'll be escalating this to the devs immediately. It is definitely a bug on our end and we'll have this sorted out asap.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Thanks so much for taking my inquiry seriously, guys. I very much appreciate your diligence.

From my tests, it seems that trying to add a comment brings you to a login prompt, which leads to the forum thread for the article.
I'm sorry, I don't think so. Sometimes, the text entry box is visible and I can directly enter text. Other times (perhaps when there are few existing comments?) I have to click the red "add your comment" button. Doing so causes the "React to this Article" text entry box to popup, but shortly after redirects to the forums. I can confirm that this behavior occurs whether or not I am already logged into the website and that if I am being shuttled to an intermediary login page it is redirected fast enough that I am not detecting it.

By the way, the rework of the login stuff throughout the site is a very welcome change. The new login prompts store login credentials where the old Javascript popups were a distracting nuisance. Thanks for the good work.

I am most often browsing with the latest Firefox via a very slow Internet connection, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
AC

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

My mistake, I wasn't very clear before. The scenario you described is exactly what my testing found--the login prompt was resolved shortly, but the redirect is still happening when clicking the "add your comment" button. Will try to get some answers about this. Sorry for the inconvenience!