Jun 14, 2020
Hello, I don't know if this is in the right section but I do believe this is more of a PC Gaming issue as it mainly affects my performance in games. Please excuse my lack of knowledge about computers. Thank you for helping me :).

For the past week, I have been getting dramatically lower FPS in games compared to what I usually achieve. For instance, in Minecraft vanilla 1.15.2 I usually get 200 FPS, but now I'm getting averages of 30-40 FPS. My main concern is that it may be a system-wide problem, I've seen issues across my entire computer this past week. Everything seems normal though, no lag when opening programs, no viruses detected in Malwarebytes, CCleaner, or Windows Defender, no internet slowdowns, etc. I've also encountered slower boot times on my computer, I used to boot up in maybe 15 seconds with an HDD (Which I know is not the fastest way to boot up.) but now I boot up in 30 seconds to 2 minutes. I've also tested other games such as Universe Sandbox 2 which was running at 60 FPS max settings when I usually run at 100 FPS.

Recently, actually today, I installed 16 more GB of ram into my computer adding up to 32 GB. I also swapped over from an old USB Wi-Fi adapter to a PCI-e adapter which boosted my download speed from 100 to 450. So I don't believe it is a problem with a lack of memory to run the game or an internet issue.

Here is my hardware info:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core
Motherboard: X470 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B79)
Memory: DDR4, 32GB, 3000 MHz, Dual Channel
GPU: Radeon RX 580 Series
Disk: 2 TB, 1.11 TB free
Monitor: Acer EB321HQU Cbidpx , 2560 x 1400 @60 fps

If there is anything else you need to know about my computer specs please ask, this is my first time making a hardware post.

What I have tried:
  • Antivirus scans.
  • Cleaning out my disk.
  • Checking my fps in multiple games to verify it is not just a problem in one game.
  • Turning off all startup programs to see if a program is causing it.
Hopefully, there is a fix for this, thank you for reading my thread and if you have a solution please tell me :).

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020
Have you gone into bios and reconfigured memory settings?

I don't fully understand the question but I'll answer to the best of my ability.

I did change my memory settings after getting my new ram. I set the X-AMP on MSI BIOS to enabled and set the ram speed to the advertised frequency (3000 MHz).

However, my problem was occuring before my ram upgrade so I don't think any changes I made in BIOS fixed my problem or caused it.

Other than that, I have not touched my memory settings in BIOS since I first set up my computer. Thank you for the reply :).

Jun 13, 2020
I don't fully understand the question but I'll answer to the best of my ability.

I did change my memory settings after getting my new ram. I set the X-AMP on MSI BIOS to enabled and set the ram speed to the advertised frequency (3000 MHz).

However, my problem was occuring before my ram upgrade so I don't think any changes I made in BIOS fixed my problem or caused it.

Other than that, I have not touched my memory settings in BIOS since I first set up my computer. Thank you for the reply :).
check cpu temps .....and also after changing hardware...sometimes windows behaves like that....try fresh install of windows....

Jun 14, 2020
Try running a CrystalDiskInfo, see if your storage drives are doing okay. The slower boot times seem to suggest maybe a storage issue. Also check your CPU clock speed, make sure it is running at normal speeds.

I installed CrystalDiskInfo 7.0.5 and ran a command prompt to check my drives for errors. Both came out saying there was nothing wrong with my C: drive or Disk 1.

CrstalDiskInfo Outcome

Jun 14, 2020
check cpu temps .....and also after changing hardware...sometimes windows behaves like that....try fresh install of windows....

I checked my CPU temps while running nothing and while in Minecraft 1.15.2.
My temperature rose from 35 C to 50 C. But I feel as though 35-50 C is a normal temperature increase when rendering 3D objects such as Minecraft does. I'll try installing a fresh version of Windows :).

Jun 14, 2020
I think I may have solved the problem, my new memory was on the wrong MHz and my AMD Drivers were corrupted.

For anyone else having this problem, all I did was uninstall Radeon software and rollback my Display Adapter driver in Device Manager. I then restarted my computer and reinstalled the driver and everything is working correctly. Thank you to everyone who replied to my post :).

Reactions: Shektron