Why AMD? Intel anyone?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

magus_gr

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
It's funny how this place is swamped with ppl so very willing to argue passionately about either AMD or Intel! Looks more like a 'discussion' between fans of Real and Barcelona than an actual discussion about technology at -all- times...

Well, my opinion on the matter is that AMD indeed has the better chips at the moment (better thermal behaviour and better performance in most areas); but Intel has the upper hand in manufacturing technology, and the capital to invest on both R&D and marketing! Does anyone here know what Intel's R&D budget is?

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Does anyone here know what Intel's R&D budget is?

I read an artical on eweek.com that in 2004they spent 5.2billion on R&D.....wonder what it was last year.

Anyway, this forum needs a Sticky:

I'm an amd guy becuase when I first started, thats what I could afford and now I feel that its because of millions like me, amd is thriving and doing well.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Wow, I was just checking out that link above and I had no idea AMD completely sucks at Photoshop. I'm glad I have Intel now as Photoshop is one of the main tools I use day in and day out.

From what I ever hear AMD is mainly better for gaming. Photoshop, video editing etc (professional applications) run better on Intel.

runswindows95

Distinguished
You know, here's some friendly advice:

Go with the CPU you want to go with.

It's your system, not mine. So, if you want an Intel, so be it. It's your money. Me, personally, I'm going with an X2 in my new system (Come on IRS and give me a good refund!). Why? Because of AMD's Cool N Quiet technology. I'm not a gamer, it's just when I do work, I do alot of multi-tasking. When I'm not, my CPU is sitting idle. I like the fact AMD's drop down to 800Mhz when idle. Again, it's my system and I'll put in it what I want. Nuff said.

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Luminaris
Mine runs at 29-30C idle and it goes up to 37-39C under load.

Is that on regular Air cooling? With a stock heatsink/fan, or maybe even an aftermarket one, thermalright or zalman.

Let me guess, 39C under load on a Prescott, you must be using a phase cooler HAHAH :lol:

AMD 4 LIFE!
"OFFICAL AMD FANBOY" You know it baby :)

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yes regular air cooled. I'm using a zalman 7700 with arctic silver 5. Even with the stock cooler, the processor would idle around 36-38C and never went above 47C. Factor in the 3 case fans and the case i'm using which airflow is very good and my processor has always run cool. Very quiet too despite the fact it is overclocked. :D

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Its funny because, my main purpose is gaming. I game online and offline just as much as the next gaming fanatic. My 630 prescott machine plays and feels exactly the same as my AMD X2 3800 machine does. The nice thing about the prescott is it may consume more watts than AMD, but it was alot cheaper and i've currently got it running at 3.8Ghz and idling at 31C as I type this. Very cool and lots of performance. I use XFX Geforce 7800GT graphics cards in both machines. I do handle alot of video editing, photo editing, music editing and multitasking and that is where the Intel shines over the AMD .

pat

Expert
Wow, I was just checking out that link above and I had no idea AMD completely sucks at Photoshop. I'm glad I have Intel now as Photoshop is one of the main tools I use day in and day out.

From what I ever hear AMD is mainly better for gaming. Photoshop, video editing etc (professional applications) run better on Intel.

The link from Anandtech article for photoshop comparaison? Because it show up time in secondes, and lower is better.. from here.

Anyway, using Photoshop is not really a good idea, because anybody could have any brand looks good or bad depending of filter used...

Fuman

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2005
u should just read the articles tomshardware has, as it is a bit less bias then us.

I've used both amd athlon 64 / Intel P4s / Intel P4-M.
my P4 was garbage.... it was running 40-50 degrees depending on load, 37oC at idle. The person that ran 37oC tops, were you on stock cooling?
Maybe I need to redo my heat paste.

would you consider the dual centrino platform?

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Here's a link to my specs. I'm currently running my prescott 630 @3.825Ghz and you'll notice the temps are nice and cool. I'll even include a link to a brand new pic I just uploaded of my 3DMARK06 Score and you'll notice the temp only climbed about 6-7 degrees. Nice performance from my scotty .. I'm getting ready to start OC'ing my newer AMD X2-3800 to see how it performs. I'll post those specs too.

Prescott 630 Idle Specs

Prescott 630 Perf Specs