Why and/or How would i use a co-axial (out ) thats on my mobo?

rimike4

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
i see co-axial output on this mobo i m looking to buy. It's the gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4

how is this co-axial out useful?

Hi there,

A common use for the S/PDIF interface is to carry compressed digital audio as defined by the standard IEC 61937.

This mode is used to connect the output of a DVD player to a home-theatre receiver that supports Dolby Digital or DTS surround sound.

Another common use is to carry two channels of uncompressed digital audio from a CD player to a receiver. This specification also allows for the coupling of personal computer digital sound (if equipped) via optical or coax to Dolby or DTS capable receivers.

This only supports stereo sound, unless the personal computer supports a surround sound encoding such as Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

U can connect all this to PC using HDMI + S/PDIF.

DSC_0092.jpg

rimike4

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Thank you for your help and more importantly your patience. This is my first build.

Does this sound right??? S/PDIF= co-axial

The co-axial on motherboard (out) would go from the motherboard to home receiver and would transmit the (480i) picture and sound from internet/pc through home receiver's speakers?

Does co-axial transmit high def picture and sound?

Why am I thinking co-axial is just like another HDMI (just not as good or high def)?

If you didn't have co-axial could you still connect pc to home receiver?

What about basic cable/co-axial from my wall plugged into mobo?

Would i get basic cable to play through PC?

The co-axial on motherboard (out) would go from the motherboard to home receiver and would transmit the sound only from pc through home receiver's speakers.

[fixed]Does co-axial transmit high def picture and sound?[/fixed]
Audio only.
[fixed]If you didn't have co-axial could you still connect pc to home receiver? [/fixed]
Yes, with HDMI you transfer audio+video.
[fixed]What about basic cable/co-axial from my wall plugged into mobo? [/fixed]
Its not the same. And it would not transfer anything at all.
[fixed]Would i get basic cable to play through PC?[/fixed]
Yes and no. It depends on the set up.

1.U need to have a cable box for decoding the cable signal.
2.From the cable box HDMI to the LCD.
3.From the cable box white/red cable for audio to the speakers.

TRENDING THREADS