Why Apple Fans Hate Tech Reporters

Status
Not open for further replies.
the mac osx operating system itself is a nice operating system its just the whole culture of overpriced hardware to go with it thats the problem.

there is a whole deep rooted psychological effect around people buying things for price and expecting higher quality when at the end of the day with certain things, price doesn't always reflect upon quality which with buying a mac is the case. in regards to security, its only a case of mac's having a small market share, if the market was even all operating systems would have just as much of a bombardment with security alerts

G

I think Mossberg is a tool for Apple. Their I have said it. Having said that I think much of the media is a tool for Apple. Apple fans seem to come to Apple's defense very quickly. Or maybe they come to their own defense for owning a Apple product? After all even today some Apple products like the Macintosh computers are not the most popular line of computers. Of course reading some of the reviews you would think they might be. No Apple is popular because of the iPhone and the iPods. Their iTunes store is also a hit but mostly I think because the iPods pretty much give you no choice. The iPad is very much another piece of hardware that will lock the user into Apple. I am not negative of this fact I am just stating how Apple works as a company. If you like Apple then being locked into their Ecosystem will be of no issue. But this is why their are some who think Apple is evil and its why some of Apple's biggest supporters feel threatened when someone says it.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Great article. I know it won't but maybe it will put things into prospective for some people. But its nice to vent anyway.

"The reporter must be licking someone's balls."
I Lol'd

But seriously why are you bashing the PlayStation 3 in this article?

Lessqqmorepewpew

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
macs are slowly becoming more or less a PC. so does that mean mac fanboys are are going to start hating wat they love most without realizing it?

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
It's hard being objective and being a person.

You want what you own or what you like to be the best on some level or another. How far you are willing to take it, whether you yield to reason, or whether you troll forums proclaiming to be the godsend messenger of [company]; you still want to be right.

It's like OS arguments. You want it to be right because it validates you (by your deciscion making skills). I think that people just need to agree to disagree more often. That would be a good first step in the right direction.

/endrant

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Excellent article, guys! It always baffles me when some people only seek positive reinforcement in News, Tech or Movie reviews, or just anything that for some obscure reason they feel an emotional attachment to.

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Suggesting that Tuan is somehow an Apple hater is beyond funny. There have been countless posts on this forum stating that Tuan has turned to the dark side and is in bed with Apple. I personally don't really care. I neither hate, nor love Apple products. I don't own any just because I have no need of them either for personal or business reasons. I can see the appeal for others, they're just not for me.

I agree with the premise of this article. The perception of bias is probably seen mostly in politics. Those on the left think the media is in bed with big business and too right leaning. Those on the right think the media is too liberal and controlled by George Soros or Hollywood.

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]accolite[/nom]Damn, you hit the nail on the head.[/citation]

Man, why are you bashing screwdrivers? You must be licking the hammer company's balls.

:p

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
If I spent the equivalent of a small village's monthly income on a gadget, it had better damn well be the best gadget in every way that there is. I don't want to hear that neighbor Bob has a gadget just as good that cost him half as much.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
We post stuff that the majority of our readers enjoy reading, and even so, Apple articles get bashed constantly -- mainly by just a select few.

Nice article except for this opening. When saying "a select few", are you counting all the other users that rated the comments thumbs up or all the users that decide not to comment with "+1" or "me too"?

As to the meat of the article, it is not surprising that we want news that conforms to our beliefs and that we attach meanings that do not exist to objective reports. It is unfortunate, but it is human nature.

Can we learn anything from the "Tom's Great iPad Flamewar"? I mean, of all the news I have encountered here, this is one of the few where the comments grew heated and eventually spilled into author's posting entire articles to continue the debate. This tells me there are enough people on both sides that feel there is a significant issue here.

So, I guess what I am getting at is a QOTD to Tom's - what kind of web site do you envision having? This is not a question aimed at the commentors and users of Tom's, but the authors and maintainers of the site. Do you want to be a serious news site dedicated to technology, do you want to be an opinion blog, do you want community involvement and if so what kind? Do the employees of Tom's have a unified vision?

Perhaps the key issue is not the content you provide, but a difference in what Tom's thinks their site is about and what the community of users think this site is about. I hope to see an article soon in reply to my QOTD.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
The Apple following is a bit of an oddity. Sure they did transform the industry from changing the aesthetic of the computer, developed a GUI for a consumer audience, and came up with the first laptop. That being said, Apple has also had its flops like the Newton and Apple TV. The thing that's strange that even when Apple release a subpar product, something over priced, or just plain boring its greeted as though Jesus himself created the thing. That, if you don't have this you suck, sort of feeling. I think every other company out there wants a following like that. The only thing I can think of even approaching Apple are fans for movie franchises, like Star Wars.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]Nice article except for this opening. When saying "a select few", are you counting all the other users that rated the comments thumbs up or all the users that decide not to comment with "+1" or "me too"?As to the meat of the article, it is not surprising that we want news that conforms to our beliefs and that we attach meanings that do not exist to objective reports. It is unfortunate, but it is human nature.Can we learn anything from the "Tom's Great iPad Flamewar"? I mean, of all the news I have encountered here, this is one of the few where the comments grew heated and eventually spilled into author's posting entire articles to continue the debate. This tells me there are enough people on both sides that feel there is a significant issue here.So, I guess what I am getting at is a QOTD to Tom's - what kind of web site do you envision having? This is not a question aimed at the commentors and users of Tom's, but the authors and maintainers of the site. Do you want to be a serious news site dedicated to technology, do you want to be an opinion blog, do you want community involvement and if so what kind? Do the employees of Tom's have a unified vision?Perhaps the key issue is not the content you provide, but a difference in what Tom's thinks their site is about and what the community of users think this site is about. I hope to see an article soon in reply to my QOTD.[/citation]

+1 sir

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]the mac osx operating system itself is a nice operating system its just the whole culture of overpriced hardware to go with it thats the problem.[/citation]
And that is why Apple is such a successful company. They have developed their own "culture" that I'm sure many other companies strive for. Dell, for example, is a HUGE company, but they don't have their own culture.
Another company that I can think of that has their own culture is Blizzard. Their games are hugely popular, and they have extremely loyal fans. When I think of Warcraft, I instantly think of Blizzard.
[citation][nom]Lessqqmorepewpew[/nom]macs are slowly becoming more or less a PC. so does that mean mac fanboys are are going to start hating wat they love most without realizing it?[/citation]
You could argue this both ways--"PCs are slowly becoming more or less a Mac." But either way you look at it, its true. It seems like Microsoft takes what is good about the Mac OS and puts it in their systems. Next thing you'll know Mac will have the ability to maximize a window when you drag it to the top of the screen. Personally, I like the Mac OS MUCH more than the Windows OS. But yet I keep around a Windows machine for DirectX.

perpetual98

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
I think that most people want to feel the need to justify their own purchases. Their is probably just a larger outlet for tech stuff due to the nature of the beast. If there was a huge forum for vacuum cleaners, there would probably be a large Dyson v. Oreck section, etc. Ford v. Checy, etc in the car forums.

That being said, there's a special brand of crazy that most Apple people have. lol And I own Apple products, but I'm one of the minority of Apple product owners that can't stand the "my poop reeketh of roses" attitude that most iFolk have. I don't lose sleep over it.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]the mac osx operating system itself is a nice operating system its just the whole culture of overpriced hardware to go with it thats the problem.there is a whole deep rooted psychological effect around people buying things for price and expecting higher quality when at the end of the day with certain things, price doesn't always reflect upon quality which with buying a mac is the case. in regards to security, its only a case of mac's having a small market share, if the market was even all operating systems would have just as much of a bombardment with security alerts[/citation]
I'd hate to get into the details, but it's hard not to dispute that the unix core is more secure than the windows environment. Mac OS X was built off of either FreeBSD or Debian (I forget). One would argue that Linux > Windows in security, so according to the law of syllogism, Mac OS > Windows in security. Not trying to be a fanboy here, just adding some insight to the conversation.

[citation][nom]theroguex[/nom]Man, why are you bashing screwdrivers? You must be licking the hammer company's balls.[/citation]
That one made my day. :p
I've said before that I *gasp* own a macbook. To make it fair, I like the Mac OS. Apple is definitely very good at making their products intuitive. The way it looks like it's going to work, it works. (my grammar have good yes.) The Mac OS manages memory differently than the Windows environment, allowing for better multitasking, and has a much different, more structured kernel. That's all better.

Now am I saying that the price of apple's hardware is worth it? Of course not!

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Very good article. I'm personally baffled at the outright critism of commenters on Tom's and other tech sites when it comes to PC/Mac/iDevice articles. I personally own an iPhone (jailbroken to an extreme) and disagree with their closed buisness practices, but I would never accuse the author of an article reviewing an iDevice of "licking gates balls". If thats your pre-determined view of said device, why would you bother clicking on the article? I feel Tom's does a good job at labeling their articles, if it's about a device that you already hate before reading the review, why would you read the review?
That being said, I hope that many of the Mac/PC comment trolls read this article and and maybe learn to control themselves on their next comment.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Enjoyed the article; bias and ignorance are a problem for any minority or group. But there is one more factor:

People associate people and things with an emotion. If you review a product (thing) and use terms that are technically sound, people will read into them with an emotional response. People who buy Macs due so on an emotional level. Otherwise, there is no logical reason to pay more for an underpowered (yet esthetically pleasing) product offering. Macs are just that, emotional eye-candy. The best kind of marketing targets the want and not the need.
And because people have a need to justify emotional reactions, they tend to act out in an emotional way. "Don't tell me I spent too much money-I don't want to hear it!"

As a side note, every Mac user I have ever meet feel into the "not exactly social material" category... maybe it's the area that I live in, but they tend to be weirdos.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
So just who the crap is it that's reading all of the apple articles and apparently liking all of them? They generally aren't "OMG this is the best thing ever!" (though they sometimes are) and if that's what the crazy apple people want -they aren't really getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.