Why Apple Would Acquire Beats Electronics for $3.2 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pills161

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Beats are pure crap and the only reason they sell so well is because they have Dre's name behind them and there are so many gullible sheep out there who will pay for the overpriced headphones "these Beats be bangin yo they from Dre, word!". They will make a good home at Apple for sure.

Amdlova

Distinguished
my friend have one :) one month and died. first right side and before the left side. plus when shipped on the original box the HV phone broken and lost the guarantee.
If you wanna buy a good thing get Sennheiser, akg, shure...

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Sounds like the perfect yuppie ******* marriage. Apple will buy them then jack up the price another 25%-50% on all ready overpriced audio equipment.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
If Samsung was buying Beats 99% of the people's comments would be change 180 degrees..lol
Anyone who knows anything knows that Beats are overrated and overpriced so I doubt that would happen since I rarely ever see any good comments about them.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Marketing is all that really backs the Beats brand, quality does not. Companies like Sennheiser , Audio Technica, Shure, AKG along with many other brands make much better sound equipment. Those companies have real quality backing their names rather than solely relying on marketing.
Also while I am not an Apple fan boy I do believe that their products are of quite good quality, significantly better quality than Beats.

so... apple wants to buy an over-hyped piece of overpriced crap? Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Though I suspect Apple will find the "beats" headphones don't match their quality expectations, i wonder if they'll care (Apple might be overpriced and over-hyped, but at least they make some solid stuff. You can't say Beats makes anything better then crap)

thesuperguy

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Call apple overpriced and I would agree with you, but I feel it is not fair to only give apple this distinction. Take a look at the flagship phones the iphone 5s was meant to compete with. It crushed the htc one and galaxy s4 in many aspects and sold for around the same price. Similarly, the s5 and htc one m8 crush the 5s in many aspects now because they are newer. It is only fair to call all these flagship devices overpriced. That's why the one plus one exists.

Then of course you have their computer division which truly is overpriced, but that's another story.

frankly i'd take the note3 over all those phones... but that's just me. Yeah, the flagship phone market is pretty overpriced (even the note3)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Beats is a brand, hyped up to look cool but ultimately rubbish compared to other audio companies like Bose. Image conscious but totally shallow and facile, sounds just like Apple so maybe they will go well together.

thesuperguy

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Beats is a brand, hyped up to look cool but ultimately rubbish compared to other audio companies like Bose. Image conscious but totally shallow and facile, sounds just like Apple so maybe they will go well together.

Actually beats and bose are often compared hand in hand as being overpriced and reliant on the brand name. Maybe bose is a bit better in that regard but I would have to agree after demoing some of their equipment at a bose store and seeing the prices thereafter.

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I don't get it as a brand acquisition. Apple is already among the most recognized and most loved brands out there. There are many hum-drum companies who could use a brand like Beats; Apple is not one of them.

I'm thinking its maybe a combination of - a) access to music deals already in place that will transfer and that Apple couldn't get itself and b) pre-built infrastructure and engr team for streaming that Apple likes and can save some time to market by using instead of rolling its own and c) the real cost is probably much lower but includes a face saving higher tag canceled out by details under the hood.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
While I'd love to rip on Apple, I assume they know Beats is a scam, so whats the real reason? Some sort of payoff? A bribe? Money laundering? I mean it has to be some clandestine op, right? No one pays that money for off the shelf tech and a name?

Oh, ipod/iphone, right, nevermind.

G

So true. Both overpriced relying more on marketing than product quality.

Apple's quality is one of the best now-days, are you living under a rock?

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Beats were made from inception for portable listening-they're louder than any other headphone specifically for smartphone/tablet/IPod listening. Forum nerds usually don't realize this and are in denial of the fact that Beats are available for demo listening in at least 95% of the stores where they're sold and that's why they're outselling all other headphones.

Yes, the marketing gets the initial listening but there are dozens of other headphones also on display
and I know we all like to think the entire world are idiots (excluding us) that buy products without thinking and testing but the actual fact is that the overwhelming majority of Beats customers have tried them in stores before buying and picked them over all other nerd-endorsed brands.

There are people out there (And I know quite a few) that think Beats are the best headphone for portable listening, and any other headphone you put against Beats will fail miserably, so for that purpose (portable listening) they're not overpriced.

AK B

Distinguished
May 16, 2013
The title should read either "Why Apple would acquire Beats Electronics for .... billion. " [Full stop not question mark] OR "Why would Apple acquire Beats Electronics .... billion? " [Why would Apple, not Why Apple would].

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Beats Audio makes poor quality products. Their quality control and customer service are some of the worst in the industry. Apple is making a huge mistake acquiring this train wreck of a crappy company.

Status
Not open for further replies.