Question Why are 2 computers showing up on a Fing scan when I only have 1?

kdj

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Hello,
I have one laptop, hardwired, no connected router, and I have disabled wifi.
But Fing network scan is showing a second connected desktop PC.
Can anyone say what this means?

Previous posts show a lengthy battle with an invasive relative accessing my internet. I need to find out if this is him and whether he can access via the modem?
Thank you for help!

Hello,

Previous posts show a lengthy battle with an invasive relative accessing my internet. I need to find out if this is him and whether he can access via the modem?
Thank you for help!

It's unlikely to be someone accessing your local network from outside. What you could do is check what is the address and run a port scan to get more info on that computer. Something like Zenmap would help. If that host is online (responding to scan) and you don't know what it is, you could set a mac filter in your router to keep it out of the network. Most routers support that.

Reactions: kdj

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

Thank you for help!
Fing does "remember" devices from previous scans. Make sure you clear all devices and then rescan.

Reactions: Alabalcho and kdj

kdj

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Thank you
It's unlikely to be someone accessing your local network from outside. What you could do is check what is the address and run a port scan to get more info on that computer. Something like Zenmap would help. If that host is online (responding to scan) and you don't know what it is, you could set a mac filter in your router to keep it out of the network. Most routers support that.

Thank you. I have not seen an option to run a port scan? I'm new to Fing. I will look into Zenmap.

kdj

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Looking at Zenmap. Thank you!

kdj

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
He has access to household. I have Nmap - now looking at Zenmap. Thanks!