Why are 2560x1440 so expensive?

iseeu1001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012
I have been having my dell monitor since about 2013 and it has served its purpose but I want to upgrade from a 1920x1080 to a 2560x1440 and the ips ones are way more expensive. They are like 200+ even for a 24 inch. Yes I have hardware that runs it if your worried bout that. I mean I can afford it but I just don't think a 1440p screen should cost that high just like ssd are still expensive.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Is there an actual question here or did you start a thread for the sole purpose of announcing to the world that you would like the stuff you want to cost less money?

1440p costs more than 1080p because it has around 78% more pixels, and as a result costs more to manufacture. 1080p is still the standard resolution for monitors, while 1440p is a premium resolution, so you're not likely to find it on low-budget monitors that are designed with low cost in mind, at least not for a while. IPS is also a more premium display type, so that adds to the cost as well, and of course it costs more to make larger screens. The same goes for features like high refresh rates, if you're interested in those. The prices will undoubtedly continue to slowly work their way down over time, but I suspect it will be a while before there are 27" 1440p IPS displays for under $200.

Edit: Assuming you're referring to US dollars. It might help to list a currency, rather than just a number. : P