Why are 680i MOBO's not that popular?

Animatorelf14

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
I don't know if it is me or what, but it just seems that 680i motherboards are not that popular here. I see a lot of posts about other boards, but not many at all about the 680i.

Are they junk? Too new and buggy to be worth purchasing?

I thought they were supposed to be faster with video and gaming. Am I misinformed or what?

I was just curious as to why I don't see a lot of 680i builds posted.

Thanks all,

A

LiquidFlame

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I think the main reason why their not that popular is at first there were some real bad bugs going on with the 680i, I think they have worked them out, but I'm not sure if their all fixed. Second the price of the board isn't that cheap and really the only reason to get the 680i is if you plan to over clock. The 680i is right now the best board for over clocking and if you want true dual x16 the 680i is for you.

DarkTide

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Are you building an SLI computer? If not you really don't need to spend the extra cash on a 680i board. So pretty much anyone going with ATI cards automatically doesn't care.

The gains of SLI are debatable at best.

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
hi folks
first i want to say that nvidia made a very good job with the nforce 4 chipset ..i own a asus a8ne mobo and is rock solid
about DA 680I mobo nvidia had a good ideea but not so good put in practice ..i hope that they will fix all the bugs soon
it is a rushed product as it seems
the ideea behind 680 i is a very powerful board for overclockers
u might also consider this mobo..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131153

BrockSampson

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Motherboards are not always perfect when they are released... thats what BIOS/driver updates are for : ). My personal experience with the eVGA 680i is that its a MONSTER. As soon as windows was installed I flashed the board. It handles my e6600 at 3.2ghz with no problem. EXTREMELY stable. I love the board. Right now I can't say enough good things about it! But, I have only had the board for 2 months now. So... my enthusiasm might be short lived if the thing blows up on me later on ; ), but I really don't see that happening. Someone who has been using the 680i since it was out should post how they feel about the board.

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
I too have the Evga 680i motherboard. Only had it for about 3 weeks now, but have no problems at all. Everything is stable and I have the latest P25 bios. I think more people now should feel safer about getting the 680i's.

UAL3312

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I bought my eVGA 680i the week it was released, there where alot of issues with NCQ with many different kinds of hard drives, i own 2 raptors that i put in RAID0 and from day 1 I haven't had issues with this board im confident i will be able to use it for another year or so before i need a 780i? lol

BrockSampson

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah I think if your questioning the purchase of a 680i motherboard you shouldn't I believe all the issues are ironed out. I am going to set up a Raid0 array this next week coming up, if anyone has any questions on how that goes... message me next week.... ; ).... Goodluck with your MOBO choice!