Question Why are all of my games suddenly crashing when under load?

Dec 28, 2019
I played games for a few hours yesterday and nothing was wrong, then suddenly my game crashed. Now any game I open will crash within a few minutes. Nothing updated or changed so I don't know what is causing the issue.

https://streamable.com/fa2ee in this video you can see some weird things happening on my screen and this happens in one of my games right before it crashes. It is not seen on the desktop or in any other game, though every other game will experience the same "crash when under load" issue.

I have reinstalled windows, reinstalled my games, updated bios, scanned windows files, clean installed nvidia drivers, removed any overclock I had, reset my internet, removed and reinserted gpu and ram sticks, unplugged and replugged all psu connectors, unplugged my second monitor.

Specs:
  • i5-7600k (4.5ghz OC but problem still exists at stock 3.8ghz).
  • CX550M psu (2 years old)
  • RTX 2060 Super 8GB
  • 2 x 8GB DDR4 GSKILL AEGIS ram
  • z270 SLI Plus mobo
  • ACER 27" 1440p 144hz
  • Dell 24" 1080p 60hz

I understand that the 2060 super says it requires a 550w psu minimum on the box but when using numerous different "psu calculators" it says my setup only requires a 450w-500w psu. My assumption is that maybe my gpu is not getting enough power, so when put under load it is causing failures which makes the games crash. That said, I have had this exact setup running as is for almost 2 weeks now and have not had a single issue, so I don't know what would've caused the sudden change in stability.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've spent the past 12 hours trouble shooting and haven't made any progress. I really want to exhaust all options before driving an hour to my local bestbuy and dropping money on a new PSU, especially since I just bought this GPU and 1440p monitor.

Ralston18

Titan
I add 25% more to the calculated PSU wattage total as a safety margin.

And with existing PSU being 2 years old and used for gaming (heavy?) the PSU may be starting to degrade and may nearing a premature EOL (End of Life).

Then if the power demand is increased, even more problems can start occurring.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that occur just before or at the time of the crashes.

You will likely see some improperly shutdown errors so look what was happening or happened before those errors.

Dec 28, 2019
I add 25% more to the calculated PSU wattage total as a safety margin.

And with existing PSU being 2 years old and used for gaming (heavy?) the PSU may be starting to degrade and may nearing a premature EOL (End of Life).

Then if the power demand is increased, even more problems can start occurring.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that occur just before or at the time of the crashes.

You will likely see some improperly shutdown errors so look what was happening or happened before those errors.

So I opened event viewer, i have a few critical events that were me just force shutting down my pc because it was frozen. What I found that I cant explain is 596 instances of "Event ID 13 nvlddmkm". When looking at the general info it says the description can't be found, but the following info was included with the event:

\Device\00000082
Graphics SM Global Exception on (GPC 0, TPC 0, SM 0): Multiple Warp Errors
\Device\Video3
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x514f30=0x120009 0x514f34=0x0 0x514f28=0x7c12b72 0x514f2c=0x174
\Device\Video3
Graphics SM Warp Exception on (GPC 2, TPC 1, SM 0): Illegal Instruction Encoding

Do you have any idea what this means?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Corrupted drivers

Just FYI:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...annot-be/b33591bb-0bcc-45f7-b9a3-1561dc7a0c47

Noted that you reinstalled the GPU drivers.

What website did you use as the source to download the drivers?

I would try once more with the current driver.

If that fails try to roll back to the previous driver version.

Overall idea being to discover if the problem is indeed software (driver) and not hardware (PSU).

Dec 28, 2019
Corrupted drivers

Just FYI:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...annot-be/b33591bb-0bcc-45f7-b9a3-1561dc7a0c47

Noted that you reinstalled the GPU drivers.

What website did you use as the source to download the drivers?

I would try once more with the current driver.

If that fails try to roll back to the previous driver version.

Overall idea being to discover if the problem is indeed software (driver) and not hardware (PSU).

After trying everything said and still having issues, I reached out to Nvidia who (after a few tests) told me that my GPU was defective. I sent it back and should have a replacement within a week.