Why are all the ports closed???

aikorush

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
So I have been trying to play BFV, multiplayer works but the packet loss is really intense making it really difficult to play.Tried other servers and it seems to be the same, but others in the servers doesnt have this issue so i knew its from my end. I tried setting the Firewall off and even the anti virus
I also went to the Modem(TP-LINK) and even disabled the modem Firewall but no luck

Thats where i researched a bit and found out about Port Forwarding. It asked to check whether the ports are closed so it guided me to a Port checker website. I put in the port numbers which is used by BFV and every single one of em is closed, i even tried putting in some random numbers and its still the same.
I set up a static IP address and made virtual servers with some of the ports. Enabled them and when i checked the portchecker it still shows up as "closed" :S
I honestly dont know what to do, i spent more than an hour trying to troubleshoot this
Anyone here can help?

Make sure the ip address you see in port checker sites is the same ip as you see on the wan port of your router. If these do not match you do not have a public IP and you will not be able to port forward.

Rather than port forward set the test pc in the DMZ on the router. This eliminates errors in port forwarding rules and forwards all ports.

There are 2 part to ports. If the ports are correctly forwarded it might be the end machine not correctly responding to the checks. It can be the program running on the pc or firewall blocking it. There is no simple way to really know if you are receiving the data and not responding. The brute force method that works is to use wireshark but it takes some practice to be able to use the tool with the massive amount of data it collects.

aikorush

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
I put in both the ipv4 address which I used as a static IP and my public IP on port checking sites. both didn't work
I also DMZed and the result is the same

Tried DMZing with both my public ip and the ipv4 address too but no avail
What could be the problem I wonder

I do have another modem(D-LINK) with me and im planning to switch it out and see how it goes
Should I proceed?