[SOLVED] Why are b660 so expensive?

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021
12400F and ddr4 itself is a great deal, but together with a mobo nearly as much as cpu is really holding me back

Last batch best b560 was gigabyte b560m pro ax, so i wish something could take its place
I remember mid range mobo of b350, b450 was onlu usd 100ish...

Last edited:

Ai90

Prominent
Apr 12, 2020
12400F and ddr4 itself is a great deal, but together with a mobo nearly as much as cpu is really holding me back

Last batch best b560 was gigabyte b560m pro ax, so i wish something could take its place

Wait until end of February. Demand is very high, quantity of offers is low + resellers making high margins on new product. Do not expect good MB on B660 lower than 160 USD / EUR anyway.

Ai90

Prominent
Apr 12, 2020
Sounds like a pure guess. With the chip shortages it’s impossible to predict what supply will be like. Hopefully it will be better but I would not bet on it.

Why Feb? What event will there be?

Typically first weeks when product become available in the market sold with inflated prices. Therefore I suggest to wait until end of next month until everyone who ready to buy product by inflated prices will be satisfied.

Typically first weeks when product become available in the market sold with inflated prices. Therefore I suggest to wait until end of next month until everyone who ready to buy product by inflated prices will be satisfied.
Agree ‘typical’ but nothing has been typical for most components in the last 18 months. You might be right but I really would not be surprised if supply is limited for longer than normal.

Reactions: 721831101

Ai90

Prominent
Apr 12, 2020
Agree ‘typical’ but nothing has been typical for most components in the last 18 months. You might be right but I really would not be surprised if supply is limited for longer than normal.

It is important to not compare MBs availability with PS5 / Xbox One X / S situation and situation with video cards. These are very special cases.

It is important to not compare MBs availability with PS5 / Xbox One X / S situation and situation with video cards. These are very special cases.
Chip shortage is a significant problem for many components and industries, for example the car industry. My new car has been on order for 6 months and if lucky only another 3 to wait, the reason given, chip shortages. You cannot assume it definitely won’t have an impact. I’ve never said it will have an impact but it cannot be ruled out.

Ai90

Prominent
Apr 12, 2020
Chip shortage is a significant problem for many components and industries, for example the car industry. My new car has been on order for 6 months and if lucky only another 3 to wait, the reason given, chip shortages. You cannot assume it definitely won’t have an impact. I’ve never said it will have an impact but it cannot be ruled out.

True. No one guarantee anything. Some unexpected "fire" is some components facility can break everything.

Ai90

Prominent
Apr 12, 2020
There are already global chip shortages. What isn’t clear is what products or industries are going to be impacted the most and for how long.

In my region currently Z690 motherboards are offered by average 30-40 shops, B660 around 10 only. Giving the fact when Z690 appear, I made rough calculations for B660. This is where these month and a half comes from. Everyone can freely stick to different strategy, I think we already answered on TS primary question, therefore I will refrain from further discussions.

Here is a very basic asrock B660 for $95:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813162055?quicklink=true

Many of the less expensive units will be MATX.

Reactions: Dirtmechanic
Solution

Dirtmechanic

Prominent
Jan 29, 2022
I bought 2 of those asrock b660m-hdv boards. The first one has a wonky power button. No power, even if you short the jumpers. I discovered that shorting the cmos reset with the battery in and the psu on actually turns it on and it boots without losing the eufi settings. Just hit f1 to continue. Must be a new design! So now the reset switch is plugged into the clrmos1 and if it gives me crap I fry its brain and it starts right up. The second board is still in the box. I will swap them eventually and send this one back. It worked normally for a few cycles before it got weird. I swapped cases just to avoid checking psu and switch issues. Everything works fine when its up, and it shutdown fine, but It is random on what makes it boot between the power switch and that cmos reset trick. B660 is more a standard rig chipset. This wiki link has a decent layout of the 600 series alder lake chipsets for the lga1700 socket. Go to the alder lake section and open it.

Dirtmechanic

Prominent
Jan 29, 2022
I just tend to avoid lowest end product from any line, a little more , much sturdier, comform , less pain
One could be forgiven for recognizing the sheer complexity of a factory producing such items as being worthy of at least some standards. Truth, I have been building since before windows 1.0 and had killed my share of bits and pieces as well.

In this case there is a pathway since the i5-12400 supports ddr5 in that no sooner than about 2 years from now I will probably be buying ddr5 ram and the supporting boards.

I have to keep 6 computers and I have let them get down to 7th and 5th gen on 2 of them, the other 4 cannot support win11 for sure. Where we run mc\visa and such the security of the new disk format win11 will have and the tpm 2.0 hard chips are gonna be required no matter if the chipsets are fast enough.

I do not need to overclock, so the z690 loses my favor. I do not want to produce heat of any kind as everything lasts longer. Well used to anyway as I pulled a still working hdd that was marked 1997. B660 is good enough but I note it is also about the numbers of slots and so forth offered by the 4 alder lake 600 series chipsets.

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021
In this case there is a pathway since the i5-12400 supports ddr5 in that no sooner than about 2 years from now I will probably be buying ddr5 ram and the supporting boards.

And yes the ddr5 thing, it just launched as chaos as ddr4 intially, crazy high prices and SLOW, like 2133 / 2400 back in old days,
I will avoid that one too

Reactions: Ai90